Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Low water pressure Just in Kitchen hot water pipe
Author: whispercan9 (Canada)

Recently out of nowhere (no changes were made), suddenly the water flow in kitchen hot water pipe dropped to a trickle. I thought the issue must be in the faucet aerator or the pipe connecting the faucet to the copper pipe stop valve.
So Initially I tried to clean the faucet but in the end to save time and me not being an expert in plumbing, I decided to change the faucet + new pipes connecting the faucet to the copper pipe stop valve.

But the issue still remains, the hot water flow has not improved. The kitchen is on main floor and there are no other valves between this location and the hot water tank (basement).
The hot water pipe which is feeding my kitchen is also supplying hot water to other points in my house and there it has no issues with pressure.

Could anyone recommend - what to do, if you have experienced something like this? The only thing which is left to change besides the copper pipe is the stop valve.

Any suggestion or possible steps to identify the blockage are much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Low water pressure Just in Kitchen hot water pipe
Author: steve (CA)

Have tried turning on the hot stop, with the faucet end of the supply hose pointing in a bucket, to check the water flow? Is the stop valve multi-turn or 1/4 turn? If multi-turn, you can unscrew the stem assembly and check the condition of the washer and see if there is debris in the valve.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

It's a multi turn valve and I have replaced the stem assembly also, but didn't check the washer inside, maybe my best bet would be to replace the stop valve.

The pipe is vertically coming out of ground and not enough space on top (between sink and pipe end) to see, if there is any debris or washer condition. Any pointers how I can do that?

Thanks

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the washer is ATTACHED to the stem assembly

soooo ...............

if you removed the stem to replace it and there was no washer on it said washer is (disintegrated) inside the stop

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Sure. Use a Dental/Inspection mirror. I use it all the time for just that purpose. Sometimes the valve faces away from you and the mirror enables you to look inside.
It is very common for pieces of the washer to remain behind and a pick has to be used to retrieve them.
[www.homedepot.ca]

Author: steve (CA)

There are some angle stops that use a plastic stem with a tapered end(no washer), but most multi-turn stops use a washer.

Thank you very much clap

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on my problem.

I hope washer inside the stop valve is the issue as there was none which came out when i replaced the stem valve.

I have a small handheld mirror, so I will use that and see if I can find that.

I will post my progress / findings.

Happy holidays!!

Edited 1 times.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

You could have pieces of the washer jammed up downstream of the stop valve, in the supply hose, in the cartridge or in the water passages. Carry out the test Steve suggested to see if you have full pressure at the supply valve.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.