Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 700,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Welcome to Plbg.com (also known as PlumbingForum.com) where plumbing advice, education, information, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers and plumbing contractors anywhere who all wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been free without popup or other invasive ads and known to be the best online STRICTLY PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to find and/or purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 hot water shutoff valve
Author: tom650 (CA)

thanks in advance for all support:
I will be repositioning my gas water heater, possibly several times (basement remodeling).
To avoid draining the whole house, can I install a shutoff valve between water heater hot water outlet, and the house lines?
This is 3/4" line. If I install a 3/4" gate valve, will this reduce hot water pressure to the house? Maybe install a 1" gate valve instead, with 3/4" reducers on both sides of the valve?
This is a 3 bedroom 1,500 sq. ft. house. Longest faucet run is approx. 50'.

Re: hot water shutoff valve
Author: bsipps (PA)

Having a shut off on the hot side is a very good thing
No gate valve though use a full port ball valve

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Careful with a shutoff on the hot outlet. If the hot and cold valves were turned off and and heater fired up, the only safety mechanism is the pressure relief valve. If it is stuck you could end up with a big explosion.

You have to mount the heater on a heavy duty platform on wheels to move it when it is filled with water.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

3/4 full port ball valve is PERFECT

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

make a dolly with 4 HEAVY DUTY small casters - mount the tank on it the first time it is moved

operate/test the safety manually before any move and valve installation - it should flip open by using the lever and reseat 100% when manually closed

Author: sum (FL)

Since your purpose is to avoid draining the house while the water heater is being disconnected and reconnected during it's relocation, do you plan on putting the stop valves on the "house side" after disconnection or the WH side?

I am curious because once you disconnect the WH from the house piping, and the WH is in the basement, water will run out of the house piping as soon as you cut anyway unless you immediately cap the hot and cold on the house side? Water is not going to spill out of the WH if the cold feed and hot outlet are on the top of the WH.

To me, I would cut the piping on the cold feed on the WH side, leaving the cold stop valve on the house side. Then I will probably get a 3/4 Sharkbite ball valve (I don't use SBs except for temp short term purposes) to put on the house's hot side.

One option is to then run a metal flex hose from the cold to the hot directly bypassing the WH, and you can pressurize the house without it, depends on where you are...where I am in south Florida it's no big deal to take cold showers for a few days even in the winter. If hot water is a must, then I will drain the WH to reduce it's weight then put it on a flat platform with wheels and be able to roll it around, then I will get some 3/4XHOSE adapters to put on the house valves and the WH's nipples and use two garden hoses in between so the WH can be moved around without even having to disconnect.

Not a pro so just thinking out loud here.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.