Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 what size electrical tank water heater should I install upstream of my tankless to solve cold water sandwich?
Author: Nurit (MA)

I have a Navien NCB-240 ASME tankless water heater / combi-boiler. I've had a plumber look at it, and he said it is operating as expected, which apparently means I never have any hot water to wash my hands in the winter b/c it takes awhile to heat up the water. I've never had this problem in any other home where I've had a tank water heater, so I would like to install a small electrical tank water heater so that is plugged into the water outlet of my Navien. What size (and brand perhaps?) tank do you recommend for the 120V tank water heater given that it takes 30-60 seconds for the Navien to produce hot water? What specifications should I be looking for since I want it to be able to handle large inward flow of hot water from my Navien? [Once the Navien gets hot, it stays hot, as long as I'm calling for sufficient water pressure]

I've discussed this issue with plumbers, and they are skeptical this will help. My home is finished, so installing a recirculation pump, would likely be difficult. I figure if the small tank in my utility room doesn't help, I'll install a small water heater below my bathroom sink.

The Navien is also causing problems for my appliances like my dishwasher and washing machine, since when they draw hot water, it ends up being cold. [e.g. I have issues with the dishwasher detergent leaving residue below the compartment.]

I'd appreciate your advice!

thanks,
nurit

Edited 1 times.

Re: what size electrical tank water heater should I install upstream of my tankless to solve cold water sandwich?
Author: packy (MA)

i would toy around with putting a small water heater feeding the navien.
even a small tank will give you hot water for enough time until the navien kicks in.
you are saying the navien works ok in the summertime. so temper the winter water so it is warmer entering the navien. in the summer you can shut the power to the small electric tank to save electricity.

Re: what size electrical tank water heater should I install upstream of my tankless to solve cold water sandwich?

Hi Packy,

thanks for your reply. I was thinking of having the Navien feed the small electrical tank b/c then the less efficient tank would have to do less work. What do you think? also, what size tank do you suggest?

in the summer, washing my hands with cool water wasn't a big deal, but in the winter, washing my hands with ice cold water is unpleasant. however, even in the summer, I was having issues with detergent residue on my dishwasher door.

thanks
nurit

Author: bsipps (PA)

Update

I misunderstood the issue

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

at 30-60 seconds to get hot water from the existing system i would do NOTHING

waiting 30-60 versus the cost of having a tank and waiting 10-20 seconds to purge the line of cold ANYWAY

your existing system is just fine

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

i would think a 6 gallon tank tank set at 130 deg would help alot.

so... cold water into the small tank.

130 deg water out of tank into the navien

by the time the 6 gallon tank starts to run cold the navien is up to speed.

so much depends on how often you use hot water. the small tank would take a short while to heat up again.

realize this.. i'm not an engineer. i'm just a plumber taking a guess at how i would treat this problem

merry christmas..

the issue is the PURGING of the static cold water in the piping between the Navien and the sink

while the boiler is more efficient, the DW will heat the water internally

an 'under the sink' heater will supply enough 'insta hot' for hand washing

NOT a recommendation, merely an example:

Eccotemp EM-2.5 Electric 2.5 Gallon Mini Tank Water Heater

I WOULD LEAVE THE PERFECTLY WORKING SYSTEM ALONE

(next time install a recirc line)

bern, i understood the issue to be that the navien took more time to heat the water than the OP liked.

you know it could be that the coil just needs a cleaning because it isn't picking up the heat fast enough ??

noooooo

the issue is the cold water in the piping along the distance FROM the Navien

the Navien heats in mere seconds, but, just as if it were a tank full of hot water, the cold water already in the lines has to be 'purged'

the fact that it is acceptable in the summer .............................

thanks for all of your help! I appreciate it clap

Both the cold water in the line and the Navien taking awhile to heat up the water are issues. It's not one or the other. There is a bathroom right next to my utility closet, and I used a timer to see how long it took to get warm/hot water to the bathroom first thing in the morning: over 30 seconds. It takes approximately 1 minute in my master bathroom where I usually wash my hands.

And that 1 minute is really a problem for me since I severely burned my leg 3 months ago, and I experience pain and pins-and-needles when standing.

I'd like to see how well a small electrical tank water heater plugged into the hot water outlet of my Navien works. I'm hoping packy can clarify why he is suggesting installing the tank before the Navien. I have a hydro-air heating system, so it seems inefficient to have the tank before the Navien.

The long-term and expensive solution would be installing a new combi-boiler with a small tank and a compatible recirculation valve. I know that combi-boilers with small tanks and combi-boilers with recirculation valves (like NaviCirc) exist, but not sure if there is a system with both.

thanks for all of your help! I appreciate it.

Edited 2 times.

i'm gonna back away from my original theory and shift my pile of chips over to ' something is wrong with the navien'.
shouldn't take 30 + seconds to get hot water to a faucet next to the heater.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.