Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 CPVC pipes
Author: sum (FL)

What is your opinion on CPVC pipes in general?

I am asking because I am looking to purchase an apartment in a high rise building and the supply piping is all CPVC.

From previous experiences I have always preferred copper, and recently I repiped my house in PEX A. I have always considered CPVC to be "inferior" because I have heard stories of it being brittle, prone to bursting open a lot...but may be that's due to the piping exposed to sunlight? I also think I heard that some CPVC pipes on the hot side fail more frequently but that may be on some specific earlier generation brands? I know one home inspector commented once that CPVC is a "ticking time bomb", but so is polybutylene, and may be copper too if your water quality is such that will induce pin holes, and so is PEX if you bend it too much...nothing is everlasting.

Would you walk away from a home because it's all piped with CPVC? Newer construction 2007 permitted and passed inspections.

Re: CPVC pipes
Author: bsipps (PA)

Anticipate a waterline re-pipe

Author: vic (CA)

".....walk away from?"

Hmmmm, for me that depends on if it's an especially great apartment at a very low price (sorry, I guess I'm not answering directly) .... as well as I'd make sure I can get good insurance as well as I'd confirm if water damage caused by pipe issues are included in my insurance.

I have seen so many hi rise condos, apartments, etc that have water heaters without a pan and we all recognize that ALL water heaters WILL eventually leak. Would I walk away from buying an apartment unit without seeing water heater pans and drains installed? I'd have the same thoughts with that.

Less than 20 years old? I'd also ask some of the people who live in the building if they've heard of or have seen any cpvc pipe issues there.

Author: Don411 (IN)

Said another way: "If I had to incur the cost to re-pipe this apt would it still be a good deal?"

Author: bernabeu (SC)

What is your opinion on CPVC pipes in general?

'Specifcation Grade' [minimum requirements] barely code compliant crap (as in do do over later).

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Don411 (IN)

Kind of a conundrum because even if you repipe your unit, you're still subject to damage from units above you who haven't repiped....

Author: mud369 (PA)

its ok for cold but hot water pipes can leak especially if they bang from no expansion tank, they recently upgraded to SDR and which is thicker walled so depends how old the pipes are.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.