Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Delta 1600 H/C Reversed
Author: BlakeR (AZ)

I have a shower that has hot and cold reversed, that valve is a 1600 series Delta, and only has a single notch. I have read here and there that this type can be reversed, but have yet to find any instructions as to how to do so.

Here is a reference image of the same valve type.

Based on the design the only methods I can think of would be to either cut the tab off so that it can be inserted 180 degrees offset, or to modify the brass limiter piece or replace it with one made for reversed operation.

If anyone here has experience with these valves and could offer suggestion I would be very grateful.

Blake

Re: Delta 1600 H/C Reversed
Author: steve (CA)

If you can't rotate the whole cartridge, how about removing the snap ring and brass limiter, turn the shaft 180* and reinstall limiter and snap ring. Worth a try.

Unfortunately the shaft and the limiter both have a D profile so the orientation is fixed, I thought about milling limiter to have a round inner cutout and adding a setscrew but I don't have the tools for that at the moment.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

? turn the brass part upside down ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Curly (CA)

In this video at 1 minute and 8 seconds in, it shows the body of the valve. On the right side of valve body looks like there is a tab that can be removed which will allow for cartridge to be rotated.

I have replaced these cartridge but have not had to reverse flow.....

[www.youtube.com]

When re-installing retaining nut be sure and lubricate threads for easy removal in the future.

NAILED IT

Author: packy (MA)

and lubricate the cartridge "O" ring and the inside of the valve body so you don't have to use a come-along to remove the cartridge in the future.
i also stretch the cone shaped springs just a touch to help the rubber seats seal better.
P/S the pointed end of a pencil holds the seats/springs alot better than needle nose pliers

'long cullinary tweezers'

[th.bing.com]

Author: hj (AZ)

A slim philips screwdriver through the hole..

Thanks for this, I wonder when the tab feature was added or if it was an optional variant. Mine doesn't have it, but of all the modifications I can make this seems like it may be the easiest one, time to get my handy little file to work.

I'll also be sure to grease everything up as recommended. The springs are still pretty tight, the cartridge must have been replaced not too long before I got here.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks! Here's the fix for the next guy who has this issue clap

The problem has been resolved. I used a file to make a new notch that's rotated 180 degrees from the original. It was a pretty easy job, I used a little piece of cardstock to make sure I did the rotation accurately and stuffed the valve body with toilet paper while I was filing to keep all the filings from getting on the seals or in the lines. Here are some images in case anyone has this issue in the future and needs a reference.

Also I looked into inverting the brass limiter but this would have two problems: first, an inversion does not result in the same geometry as a 180 degree rotation; and second, there is a protrusion on the bottom of the limiter that keeps the O-ring in place, so the snap ring would not fit with the limiter inverted and the O-ring would be loose. But it was a good thought that I had really hoped would be an option.

Here are the images:

Here is the piece of paper I used to measure the location of the new notch, I just kept cutting it shorter until it landed in the same place whether measured from the top or the bottom, then centered my file on the line I made and widened the notch after it was cut.

Here is the notch once finished.

And here is the valve reassembled and ready for testing.

Thanks again to everyone for your input, the shower is working great now and my wife is much happier.

PS if you think this hole is ugly, then you should see where the drywall meets the counters in the kitchen here looks like someone had a few shots and then grabbed a Sawzall and went to town without any line to follow.

Edited 4 times.

Author: Curly (CA)

Good Job. clap

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

You are probably already aware of this....Be careful with this valve when removing the retaining nut.

The part of the valve body that contains the cartridge is connected to the rest of the valve body with 3 copper tubes. These tubes are VERY easy to twist/leak/break if retaining nut does not come off easily.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks, luckily for me the valve cartridge was installed with grease and the ring was greased as well so everything was easily loosened and removed by hand.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.