Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pin hole leak in copper recirculating pipe
Author: Asher (UT)

I live in a 24 unit condo complex with a gas water heater with a large vertical tank and a secondary tank about four feet away. The two tanks are connected by a 1 1/2" copper pipe recirculating system and a 1/6 HP 1725 rpm Bell & Gossett pump. The piping is only about 4 years old, but recently sprung a small leak in a 90 degree elbow near the heater. The plumber who replaced the elbow said it looked like the pipe installer failed to file off burrs inside the pipe when the elbow was installed which caused a disruption of the flow and eventually the leak. That plumber's boss is now telling us we need to replace the entire copper system with PEX and a smaller pump to reduce the water flow. I realize that copper could develop more pin holes later, but am currently thinking we should avoid the big expense of replacement and stick with our current copper.

Re: Pin hole leak in copper recirculating pipe
Author: hj (AZ)

Install a valve after the pump and reduce the flow rate until it just keeps the pipe warm.

Thanks for the advice. I already have valves on both sides of the pump and I just partially closed the one downstream of pump and going towards the heater. I really appreciate your advice.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you need an orifice union juuust after the pump and upstream of 10 pipe diameters length of straight piping

the principle:

you want juuusssst enough flow to keep the pipe 'almost' as hot as the heater storage

partially closing the downstream 'service valve' will cause further erosion including the valve itself

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

the boss makes no sense.
if you change to 1 1/2 inch pex, why would you also need a new pump ?
throttle down one of the valves, leave the piping the way it is and have a merry christmas.

Thanks very much clap

Thanks for your advice. It makes sense and I really appreciate it.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks very much. Your advice makes a lot of sense and I will pursue it with our plumber.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.