Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 "Loctite" to resolve gas leaking from control housing connection to burner supply tube on water heater?
Author: JReality (NJ)

I had an A.O. Smith Vertex hot water heater installed today. I smelled gas afterward, and the installer had a gas sniffer device (Klein Tools device) and it was detecting gas leaking from where the burner supply tube connects to the control housing where the thermostat is. After he inspected the tube and the gas valve, and trying to put it back a couple of times and then see if was still leaking, then at some point he removed it again and put pipe dope near the top of the metal tube, but didn't put it where the flare of the tube is because he said that's not supposed to be done. It was still leaking, so he removed it again and put "Loctite" which is some kind of glue that he said stays gummy or like a gel (if I understood him correctly). The detector didn't indicate a leak after that. Just wondering if this is considered acceptable, if it's no longer leaking. He said it would last the life of the water heater. And, if so, then what if the burner ever needs cleaning or servicing? Will it be difficult to unscrew the nut that attaches the supply tube to the control box, and will the tech who works on it have to put "Loctite" on again? Whatever he used looked like it had a darkish brown colored glue inside it. It could have been Loctite 480 based on googling "Loctite" but I'm not sure.

I think the burner supply tube itself looks like the tube on this: [www.amazon.com]

Want to confirm what he did to resolve this was acceptable as long as it's not still leaking. Let me know. Thanks.

Re: "Loctite" to resolve gas leaking from control housing connection to burner supply tube on water heater?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

NOT acceptable.

Fix the leak with 'from the factory' technique/parts or replace the defective BRAND NEW device.

You bought NEW, now you have 'Rube Goldberg' REPAIRED.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Re: "Loctite" to resolve gas leaking from control housing connection to burner supply tube on water heater?
Author: packy (MA)

the plumber was correct. we are not supposed to rely on any type of sealant with a flare connection.
a drop of oil to help it tighten better is acceptable.

Thanks clap
Author: JReality (NJ)

Thanks, will insist it be corrected the right way.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.