Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Suds in toilet in 1st floor apartment
Author: himynameismarkf (MA)

Ok, so NO ONE has been able to figure this out...

Several years ago, I started randomly getting suds/bubbles in my toilet. I live on the first floor in an apartment building built in 1970, with two units above mine.

It would happen randomly/infrequently, sometimes weeks where there would be no issues. Then out of nowhere, usually in the evening (between 5-8pm-ish), we'd hear a low humming sound for about 10-30 seconds, then we'd get bubbles and suds coming up into our toilet, sometimes so many that it would pour over the edges.

The stuff coming up has ALWAYS been clean, so no waste, dirty water, etc. Also, I've NEVER got anything in my shower or sink, it's always just in the toilet.

I had SO MANY plumbers come out, and no one could figure it out (some say venting issues, others say my pipes need to be replaced), so finally we cut the wall open in the bathroom, a plumber comes and cuts the toilet vent pipe open, and we put a camera in to inspect everything. The main lines themselves were clear, but sure enough- the toilet vent pipe had a blockage. Pipe scale was completely blocking the whole thing.

Great! Now we have an answer. So the plumber clears out the blockage, we wait several weeks to repair the wall, just to make sure everything is good.

A month later, no issues at all, so we put the wall back up, paint, etc.

One night last week, I'm cleaning the bathroom, then bam- I hear the humming sound from what seems like upstairs, and seconds later, bubbles and suds coming into my toilet AGAIN. After the vent pipe was repaired and cleared.

Last night we talked to all the tenants around me- the older guy that lives upstairs says he DOES have a portable washing machine but *CLAIMS* he hasn't used it in two years. He says he doesn't take baths, doesn't fill his sink with sudsy water, doesn't have a garbage disposal, etc.

My question is- what is most likely causing this?? Is he likely lying about not using the washer? Is there anything else that could be causing the bubbles and suds in my toilet? Or is he most likely using the portable washer, and lying to the condo associations because he 1) doesn't want to get in trouble 2) doesn't want to get fined and 3) doesn't want it removed.

We went for over a month of daily usage in the building with zero issues, until it happens seemingly out of nowhere, corresponding with the sound from above my unit.

This has been driving me crazy for years, any feedback would be SO appreciated. Thank you!
- Mark

Re: Suds in toilet in 1st floor apartment
Author: bernabeu (SC)

You are in a 'suds pressure zone' of improperly by (modern standards) installed piping.

There is NO easy fix.

[i.postimg.cc]

[www.bing.com]

said sudsing 'probably' corroded the vent (said vent will NOT correct the issue anyway)

Unless your toilet actually overflows the suds onto the floor - let the situation be.

This issue is PRECISELY why washers are banned in older apartment buildings.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

see also: [www.plbg.com]

Re: Suds in toilet in 1st floor apartment thumbs

Yes, the toilet has actually overflown with suds many times.

Such a nightmare. Appreciate your response!

Edited 1 times.

..... we'd hear a low humming sound for about 10-30 seconds, ..... the older guy that lives upstairs says he DOES have a portable washing machine but *CLAIMS* he hasn't used it in two years. ..... he most likely using the portable washer, and lying to the condo associations .....

[th.bing.com]

You have been given the technical reason for the suds overflow (period end of case certainty).

You now need to decide how to deal with the banned washer.

Author: howdy2 (WA)

Until I read the other reply I had never head of a sud zone but the explanation makes sense to me especially since you hear humming (probably from the neighbor's washer).

Maybe it would help to get the neighbor to use less soap and/or use High efficiency soap. It is readily available at most stores. It has a "HE" label on the container.

Author: bsipps (PA)

I once had this exact call when I arrived I saw bubbles overflowing from the 1st floor toilet only not the bathtub surprisingly,after eliminating possible clog in the stack/ drain

It turned out to be the 3rd floor tenant had a special needs child who was showering and used way too much shampoo
Easiest call I ever had
[postimg.cc]

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

funny but i have never seen that in all my years ??

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

I had the same problem in my house. The second floor apt. washer was tied in to the 4" CI stack and would empty the first floor apt. unvented toilet that was tied in around 2 feet below the base of 4" CI stack. The new washer stack was tied in to the main drain 40 pipe diameters more below the last connection to the main drain. The carpet cleaners emptied their machine in the k sink and it did the same thing too.

Edited 1 times.

Update- someone from the condo association talked to the guy who lives above my unit again. He *claims* he misunderstood when we asked last time if he had a portable washing machine, he thought we meant dishwasher...which he claims he hasn't used in two years.

Personally I think he's lying because he doesn't want to get in trouble, but.,,

If he's telling the truth, and there's no portable washing machine in his unit, what else on earth could be causing this???

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.