Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Transitioning SCH40 PVC to copper supply line (exterior application)
Author: sum (FL)

I have a need to transition a 3/4" SCH40 PVC pipe to a 3/4" copper pipe.

The PVC end is connected to my pond pump where the return line is 1-1/2", but eventually it splits into a 1" branch to go to a waterfall, and another 3/4" branch for a mushroom head fountain, and another 3/4" which I intend to connect to a hose bibb. All of these branches are controlled individually with ball valves.

My intention is when I run my pond pump I may have a need to lower the water occasionally (may be to service the pond) or may be just to do a water change when I know a storm is coming and drain down the pond by say 8 to 10 inches to be replaced by fresh rain water.

To do that I have a 3/4" SCH40 PVC line and I want to connect to a 3/4" copper line that feeds a hose bibb (standalone not connected to the house supply at all), I can then put on a garden hose and while lowering the pond water with the pump I can use this nutrient rich pond water to water my plants.

So I need a way to connect this 3/4" SCH40 PVC pipe to 3/4" copper which will lead to the metal hose bibb. Yes I can go PVC all the way but I do not trust PVC hose bibbs. The joint itself will be submerged in water and under shade.

Ideally I would like to make this connection so that it can be taken apart if necessary in the future. I imagine a fitting which is a 3/4" union, on one end is a IPS sized solvent weld connection on the other side copper CTS for soldering...but I do not think such an animal exist.

I could just go with a PVC male adapter, and thread it to a copper female adapter and run with the copper. I have done that before and it should work.

I noticed Sioux Chief makes a fitting part#647-PG3 3/4" PVC x 3/4" FIP MetalHead Straight Adapter anyone used it?

Re: Transitioning SCH40 PVC to copper supply line (exterior application)
Author: bernabeu (SC)

deleted

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

That's CPVC not PVC on one end.

Author: packy (MA)

bern.. 3/4 pvc is IPS not CTS.

Author: packy (MA)

sum, just google for 3/4 ips x 3/4 cts adapter. lots out there.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

yeah yeah yeah

thought i had deleted before but must have NOT hit 'save'

gettin old

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Packy, I found two that may work.

I found a CPVC 3/4" IPS X 3/4" CTS coupling. It is CPVC, so one end it needs to connect to PVC, I guess I need to use a special cement to glue PVC to CPVC, the other end regular CPVC and I need to transition from that to copper...should work but a bit convoluted, after thinking about it I think the CPVC get get brittle real quick once exposed to UV.

I found that I have a 3/4" IPS X 3/4" CTS Ford Meter Box coupling, a project 4 years ago connecting a 3/4" PVC line from the meter transitioning to a 3/4" copper into the house, at the time I drove to an industrial plumbing supply warehouse 90 minutes away and I bought two (just in case) and I have the left over one. This one works but I don't know if it's an overkill for this application, but it's sitting there unused. So may be that's my solution.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.