Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sewage Ejector Pump only working when I trigger it
Author: Frog15 (GA)

I have an above ground sewage ejector pump that is being used for a basement bathroom and kitchen. Currently the ejector will not pump out water once it reaches the level in which the float switch should trigger the motor to activate. There is a small hole on the lid of the ejector in which I'm able to fit a small wooden stick, and I'm somehow able to manipulate the motor to work and pump out the water by maneuvering the stick around in the water. I'm not sure what I'm making contact with, but this is the only way that the ejector will work. Otherwise water in leaking and flooding the area surrounding the pump. I would appreciate any advice or opinion as to what the issue may be. Thanks

Re: Sewage Ejector Pump only working when I trigger it
Author: steve (CA)

You need to pull the cover and check the float. It might be water logged or have a linkage issue.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

An ejector pump should NOT, repat NOT, have a small hole (or any size hole) in the lid.

You need an actual PLUMBER asap.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

yeah... the first thing to check is the float.

some pumps have a float that rises up with the water level.
some pumps have an internal pressuse switch that trips when the water level rises.

bern, the problem goes beyond a small hole in the cover if there is a leak when the float malfunctions.

Author: hj (AZ)

But a pressure switch would not be activated by a stick.

yes, but a hole in the cover has been releasing sewer gasses for a loooonnnnnnng time - as long as the hole existed

BUT

it is 'probably' a sump pump

if the pump chamber is vented there may be a negative pressure at that hole ??

positive when it fills

neutral between pump operation(s)

my turn to tip my hat.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.