Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help with washer drain
Author: Rookie01 (NY)

Hello everyone I am having a problem with my washing machine draining into this setup (what I now know as a brass check valve)i got with this house, I don’t know how it worked before but I have a brand new top load washer. The drain is approximately 5ft from the ground of the machine. Can anyone suggest what is my best option please. Thank you

Re: Help with washer drain
Author: steve (CA)

What problem are you having? Water not emptying? Water backing up into machine?

Thanks for responding but the water is not draining

Author: packy (MA)

you have a whole house trap there. i don't know about NY but most places have banned them and want them removed.
anyway, in order to get everythinf from your washer flowing along, yoy will need to take apert some of that small piping and hose to clean out any debris.
in the long run that trap should be replaced with straight pipe, a wye for the washer drain and a proper cleanout.

@packy
All that is cleaned out I have no other drain issue in the house. Do you think that brass check valve should be there or is it causing the issue? What is the wye for washer? Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

The check valve and/or its associated rube golberg piping are probably the culprits - take it apart, clean it out, possibly replace the check if 'jammed' or 'sticky operation'

BUT

The entire connection is NOT, repeat NOT, code compliant nor recommended.

One may NOT, should NOT connect directly to sanitary without an air gap or air break.

? What would happen if the check stuck OPEN and there was a stoppage ?

yep, sewage flowing TOWARDS the washer inside the washer's tubing

likely, no, possible, yes - has it happened many many times, yes

You need a plumber ASAP - and, probably, a permit

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

ebery once in a while someone posts a picture and description of a poorly done job.
unfortunately yours is one of those jobs.
follow bernabeu advice.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

Rookie01,

Packy and Bernabeu are retired plumbers who between them have almost 100 years of professional experience (maybe over 100?) When they both say you have a problem you need to fix, you should take their advice. It is not a matter of "if" you get a sewage spill in that area, but "when".

ad hj into that equasion and the number jumps to 200.

Thank you all for your responses I forgot to mention that I have bathroom in my basement that goes in a basin and then pumps out the sewage into the sewer system. Can I let the machine drain in there by running some pvc pipe to it or would that be working the pump in the basement too much? Thanks again

Use a laundry sink to receive the washer discharge, drain the sink into the ejector.

the sink will act as a 'buffer'

Thanks again but the thing is I don’t have space for sink in that space. So I could run a pvc with a p trap or something like that to the ejector?

GET A LICENSED BONDED INSURED PLUMBER

My initial concern is a washer uses 15-30 gallon of water per cycle, and with not knowing how large your sewer ejector “sealed pit” is or how powerful the motor is, and that the volume of water coming out of the washing machine would overwhelm the system.

it isn't right but you could probably get away with that.
drill the hole in the cover and get a rubber gasket for the PVC.
gasket like this..

[radonpds.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.