Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Possible water leak?
Author: nikk (CA)

A few days ago I noticed I could hear a very faint noise in the kitchen. Couldn't even tell where it was coming from because it was so faint. Now that it's been a few days the noise is louder and I think it's coming from the sink area. The noise sounds like air blowing. Checked under the sink and I didnt see anything unusual. I'm assuming it must be a water leak but I don't see any evidence of that inside or outside the house. Someone is supposed to come look at it tomorrow, which will be about 5 or 6 days since I first noticed the noise. I don't know if it is a water leak, or any other kind of leak. If it is a water leak, should I be worried that it's been so long since I first noticed the noise, knowing someone still won't even check it out until tomorrow? And if it is a water leak wouldn't I see some type of evidence either inside or outside the home? No one told me to shut off the water to the house but it seems like its only logical to do?? My roommates (who are men, I am female) didnt do that. I usually trust them to handle these type of issues but my gut is telling me they just aren't taking this as seriously as it actually is??? Is this NOT a serious problem? Or is it just likely not a water leak? Any experience with this that could guide me would be appreciated! Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Re: Possible water leak?
Author: steve (CA)

Is your house built on a concrete slab or is there a basement/crawlspace? Shut off the main water valve and see if the noise stops. How serious it is depends on how big the leak is, if there is a leak.

Author: Curly (CA)

If house is built on a concrete slab most leaks in water piping system are on the hot side.

In a addition to Steve's suggestion you might try shutting off just the cold water supply to the water heater and see if the noise stops. This test works best if the cold water valve to the water heater is a ball valve (lever handle as opposed to a gate valve (round wheel handle).

Make sure nobody uses any hot water while doing the test.

Sometimes if leak is on hot the side, floor will be warmer in one spot compared to another.

Author: packy (MA)

check the water meter for constant movement of the dial.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks for the reply! We don't have a basement, but we do have a crawlspace under the house. When standing near the crawlspace outside the house I can hear the noise even better. It's gotten significantly louder since I first noticed it. It doesn't sound like wind anymore, it actually sounds like water mow. I wouldn't have any idea where or how to shut the water off. My roommate says someone is coming today, they were supposed to be here between 9 and 12. So my next question is assuming this is a water leak (and a pretty significant one), do you have any idea what I can expect going forward? Does it sound like we would have to relocate while it's fixed? I know that's probably hard to answer.

So I just found out that they came to look at it but they couldn't even get under the house to asses the problem because there was so much water. My roommate said the plumber is supposed to be contacting our landlord to figure out what to do. But no one shut off the water STILL?! This seems crazy to me

Author: bsipps (PA)

Normally unless it is the main water service to the house the plumber would isolate the affected area and leave the rest of the house supplied with water

I’m not sure why this wasn’t done when they were there
Then they or owner would call a flood restoration company to suck up all the water so the piping can be serviced

Author: packy (MA)

true story..

one of my friends (real plumber) went under a flooded crawlspace to turn off water so he could repair upstairs piping. yes.. he actually floated in on a styrofoam surfboard.

Author: Goldflaw (Canada)

Yes, it is possible

Author: bsipps (PA)

Kudos to my man
That is true commitment

nikk,

it is the LANDLORD'S problem

unless you, as the tenant, have no usable water

Author: steve (CA)

If the tenant is paying the water bill and has to deal with the excessive moisture that's now in the crawlspace, the repercussions of the leak have become their problem.

the tenant need then take appropriate action against the landlord

the tenant has NOTHING to do with the mechanical maintenance of the property UNLESS said maintenance is specified in the lease

then

the proper action would be either DIY repair or hire a pro NOT 'get advice from the www'

Author: DynamicPlumbing (Canada)

If the tenant is responsible for the water bill and must handle the excessive moisture currently in the crawlspace, then the consequences of the leak have shifted to become their issue.

Edited 3 times.

Author: sum (FL)

A lot depends on the state the tenants are in.

But in most cases, even if tenants are responsible for the water bill, they are not ULTIMATELY responsible for the portion resulting in a water line rupture or the cost of repair and restoration. The landlord is. The city may keep sending the bill to the tenant for the large water bill, but the landlord is the one that should be clearing it.

HOWEVER, if the property is insured, then the cost shifts to the insurance company minus deductible, as a ruptured supply line is usually a covered event.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.