Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pfister kitchen faucet loud noise problem
Author: lufromnj (NJ)

I have a Pfister Clarify F-529 that is about 7 years old. It started to make loud hollow vibration noises about 6 months ago. As soon as I engage the handle, which turns on the cold water in the neutral position, the faucet makes that noise and is constant. Same with filtered water position. It becomes quiet when I switch to hot water. I can’t pinpoint where the noise originates, as the vibration is felt on the countertop and even behind the walls. I am in an apartment building. I’ve had two opposing opinions from the building’s handymen - one says it’s the PRV and one says it’s the faucet. I’ve had a cartridge change, spray head change and water filter change. The reason why I mentioned the latter two is that, when I had my contractor who installed this look at it and changed the cartridge, the noise didn’t stop but upon replacing the filters, the noise stopped…only to return the next day. Then he removed the spray head, and the noise stopped too. So Pfister sent me a replacement spray head…unfortunately that didn’t fix it. Seems like we still haven’t identified the root cause. Today I looked under the sink while the cold water was running, and I saw the wall cap loosely hanging on the HOT water pipe shaking, That suggests the pipe is vibrating. Does any of this make sense to you plumbing experts? Why would the hot water pipe shake when cold water is flowing? Is the pipe making the noise, or is something wrong with the faucet that causes the pipe to vibrate?

Re: Pfister kitchen faucet loud noise problem
Author: steve (CA)

Are the angle stops under the sink 1/4 turn or multi-turn? A bad washer in a multi-turn could cause a vibration.

They are multi-turn. How can I test for this possibility?

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Partially closing the offending valve will often eliminate or at least mitigate the hammering noise.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

OR opening it FULLY so it backseats and stops the stem from vibrating.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thank you all for offering ideas clap thumbs

The building handymen came because of noise complaint. They said the cause is the bad PRV. After months of struggling with this I had to eliminate this variable. The noise stopped after it was replaced. I cannot believe it!

Thought I would share the update, and thank you all for offering ideas.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

A 'failed' pressure reducing (regulating) valve allowing excessive pressure will 'bring to light' any 'loose' parts in a water supply system. Said parts often being difficult to actually locate.

Glad your issue was simply solved by the appropriate personnel.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.