Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Line Inspection for Community
Author: Sweet Pea (AZ)

Hi there -

My community of 110 townhomes has been plagued by water leaks. I was wondering if there is a way to do a video inspection on all of the water lines to see where the possible problems are so we can be proactive in replacing those sections. Everything I have found online talks about sewage lines, but our issue is the water lines.

Any advice?

Re: Water Line Inspection for Community
Author: packy (MA)

[www.corrview.com].

Author: bsipps (PA)

I had no idea that such a method existed
This forum is great info for pros too
Thanks packy

Author: packy (MA)

around here this is most commonly used to check the wall thickness of older 275 gallon oil tanks.
if they find an area where the metal is paper thin they will tell the owner that its time to replace the tank.
BTW.. we all learn from eachothers experiences.

Author: Imshaken (MN)

So people are going to pay a company to come in, excavate the walls and ceilings where the water pipe is located to test the water line condition. Make repairs to identifiable problems. Then repair the walls and ceilings afterward?

Wouldn't it be less expensive and more efficient to admit the existing water piping has reached the end of its life and replace it?

Admittedly the tech is very cool and has useful applications that solve expensive problems. It just seems doubtful that residential buried piping is one of those applications.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

I was wondering if there is a way to do a video inspection .....

NO

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: sum (FL)

Why does it have to be walls cut open to do this evaluation?

Most of the time there is some sort of a problem, a leak or two or three over a period of time when someone has to decide if the pipe is defective or compromised happening all over to warrant a total repipe vs a sectional repair. You start with the already compromised sections, then there should be accessible piping around the house, may be in the basement where it's unfinished, or crawlspace, or attic, may be in the garage where hit and cold connect to the water heater, may be under various sinks where there are stuboits to shutoffs, may be where there are exposed sections behind the washing machines. Plenty of places to get some sample data without breaking walls I would think.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.