Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Problem connecting vanity drain
Author: Tom the Elder (CA)

I really didn't want to remove the existing elbow from the drain pipe. It is original to my 72 year old house and I didn't want to risk having to get into the wall if something breaks. Coming up with no other solution, I tried to remove it but the nut is absolutely frozen. [i.postimg.cc]

The tail piece from the drain in the new sink is in a different location than the old one. The bottom of the tail piece is about 2-3/4 inches above the bottom of the drain pipe elbow. The center of the elbow is about 5-1/2 inches from the center of the tail piece. That means the trap is about 2 inches short of spanning the distance. It has been about 6 months since I removed the original vanity & sink but I am pretty sure the trap (turned 180 degrees from how I have it in the next photo) was all I needed to connect the tailpiece to the drain elbow. [i.postimg.cc]

The only solution I can think of at this point is to install the trap as shown in the second photo, then use one of those flexible, corrugated plastic pieces to span the distance. Is there another way to go?

Re: Problem connecting vanity drain
Author: bsipps (PA)

Try using penetrating oil on the nut and wait 24 hrs
Chipping away some of the debris all the way around the nut will help a lot too

Pic#2 as you know is not recommended but will work, you may have a slow draining sink because of the deep seal trap

If it were me I would remove the nut and do it properly Even if you have to gently cut into the nut using an oscillating tool and split it away with a flat screwdriver

Author: bernabeu (SC)

split the nut carefully with an oscillating tool

replace with a BRASS nut

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bsipps (PA)

Remove the vanity first so you have plenty of room
And yes, use a brass nut with a rubber washer

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, split the old nut and replace with brass.
the new trap arm should easily reach the wall and the most you might have to do is shorten the tailpiece.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

As others have said, an oscillating tool with a fine tooth blade will make quick work of that nut.

Before I owned an oscillating tool, I used a propane torch. Those nuts are so large that it is easy to keep the heat on just the nut, and they expand a lot when heated.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.