Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water heater and hard water
Author: vankolt (TX)

Foolish me ran the hot water faucet all night long. Burned up one element and one thermostat. Replace both elements and thermostats. When there was no more water coming from drain hose i preceded to take out top element. Water came out to the level and it was all in the garage. So finished on top thermo. and element. Proceeded to the lower. No water coming from drain. Took out lower element all the rest of the 50 gallons came out. Replaced thermo and element. took off the drain and the sediment had build up and nothing was coming out that drain. Poked it and scraped out some. Now needed to replace anode bar. Decided on aluminum zinc. Could not get rod out. Was told by qualified plumber i need impact wrench. So here is the question. When i get the bar/rod out is there anything i can add through the whole on top to help with sediment? I put a new drain on it and can poke around down there put not much happends. If i knew this was going to happen i would have just replaced the seven year old water heater. I had been draining at least once a year. Looks like it should have been once a month. So any ideas to get another 3 years out of this water heater would be wonderful. I tried the the socket and big pry bar but just made the whole water heater move. What will break up sediment and not destroy inside of water heater. Thank you

Re: water heater and hard water
Author: bernabeu (SC)

A 'power' backflush 'may' help some BUT by the time you spend ANOTHER 3-6 hours of sweat blood and tears and STILL have a 'stuck' anode in a 6 year heater ...................... ?

REPLACE THE HEATER AND BE DONE

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Curly (CA)

Bernabeu is correct, but if you want to keep trying -

One way to help get a stuck anode rod out is to have heater full of water, use a six point socket with breaker bar and then use a small sledge hammer to bang on breaker bar to break it loose......it has worked for me.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

I wedge a 3-4' 2x4 across the relief valve and an in or out nipple as a holdback.

I forget what the thread is exactly but it is NOT a standard NPT.

I install the new anode with nothing but neva-seez on the male threads - the NEXT swap is easy grinning smiley

My own personal GE heater is circa 2001 and on the third rod - the first swap was a BEAR.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.