Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 700,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Welcome to Plbg.com (also known as PlumbingForum.com) where plumbing advice, education, information, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers and plumbing contractors anywhere who all wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been free without popup or other invasive ads and known to be the best online STRICTLY PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to find and/or purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaking new stop valves
Author: Josrulz (MD)

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for your help. First some background. We got a new bathroom countertop and new faucet too. Our pipes are 1/2” CPVC. The old stop valves under the sink were looking corroded, so I decided to replace them with new quarter turn valves.

For future proofing, I didn’t want to have to cut CPVC pipe down to the floor each time I replace, so I installed a CPVC to metal threaded adapter. Then I installed a threaded stop valve. At first I used Teflon tape. They leaked right at the threaded joint. Then I reinstalled used Blue Monster Pipe Thread Sealant. Now they leak les but still leak.

The only place they are leaking is as the threaded 1/2” connection between the two parts I bought. Links below.

So what am I doing wrong? Is it part comparability? Missing something? Different pipe sealant?

Thank you for your advice!
-J

CPVC to threaded adapter LINK: [www.acehardware.com]

Stop valve LINK: [www.lowes.com]

A homeowner who is really appreciative of your help!

Re: Leaking new stop valves
Author: packy (MA)

you're OK. you just need to get them tighter.
take them apart again, use 4 wraps of blue monster tape and smear a little pipe dope on top.
use two wrenches. one as a hold back and one to tighten.
P/S. if i were doing that i would have taped and gunked that adapter, tightened it into the valve really well and then glued it together.

Thanks for the reply. I did get them super tight with two wrenches. One on each part. I did not use both pipe dope and tape. Just pipe dope. Should I really use both together?

A homeowner who is really appreciative of your help!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

It may be that you OVERtightened and stretched the female threads.

First: use 5 wraps of TPFE tape and reinstall

if still leaking

Second: get a roll of YELLOW TPFE (rated for gas, it is thicker) and use 5 wraps and new stops

tighten NO MORE than 4 turns and see if it leaks

no=good to go

yes=two more turns

if STILL leaking

time for a pro

Thanks bernabeu. I’ll give it another shot!

bernabeu, one follow up question. Everything I’ve read says pipe door seals better than thread tape. But you’re suggesting I go back to the thread tape. Do you think the tape gives me a better shot at getting it water tight?

Thanks again!
-J

Installer's preference dope vs. tape.

When I use dope I use permatex #12 pipe joint compound - very very messy black goo.

The pipe tape 'generally' sold at a big box store is very very thin UNLESS you are purchasing the yellow gas rated variety (which is often not stocked).

As for tapered pipe threads: They should NEVER be 'made up' all the way since the ending threads are imperfect and will stretch (like a wedge) the female fitting OFF OF the threads.

A 'perfect' male 1/2" NPT is 3/4" long and requires 1/2" make-up - 7 total turns IF the male has 10-11 visible threads, if the male is 'short' one must 'cheat' on the make-up to avoid the wedging effect.

The (female) fitting has 7 threads - all fittings 1/8" through 2" have 7 threads - go ahead, y'all, count.

Edited 1 times.

Sooo...When tightening the valve onto the threads, I still have a couple threads visible, so I'm not going to end of that. However, it is possible that the male threads are reaching the end of the female threaded opening.

My local place carries the yellow tape, so I might just start with that this time around. Taking these things apart and putting them back together (while turning off the water to the whole house) is getting sort of old.

Thanks again...
-J

[th.bing.com]

You want full engagement into the female threads but NOT beyond then as you are then stretching the fitting open.

If it HAS been stretched it can not be UNstretched but must be replaced.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks again! thumbs clap

Hi, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice. I ended up using five wraps of blue monster tape combined with a little bit of blue monster thread sealant, and 4 to 5 complete turns no leaks after several days.

Thanks again!
– J

Edited 3 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.