Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 P trap under concrete slab under brand new shower.
Author: Jack55858 (SC)

Hey yall got a question I know it is probably not possible but was hoping someone had a solution out there.. I have customer that just got thier shower done last October. They have been having the gas smells come through. The washer is connected to the same drain and is on the other side of the shower. Not only does the washer sick the water out the drain when running it.. it will make a suction gurgling sounds.. well tested it without the washer running as well. Filled the ptrap with water.. takes about 20 to 40 min but the water gets low. Enough in the ptrap for the gasses to come out the drain. She doesn't want to go through having to pull up the shower pan and replacing it all again since she saved up for about 5 years to get her shower done how she wanted it she is a older woman who doesn't work and does not have a lot of income. I was hoping someone could tell if it could be something other then the ptrap it's self doing this or if someone has a solution to where I could fix it some how without tearing it all up either maybe fix and patch the ptrapc some how to keep it from leaking. ... under the center of the shower pan for the ptrap area the ptrap is in a hole that is about 14 to 16 in deep 9 inches wide and about 14 inches long. I don't know if that helps with any info at all but that's what it is. She asked if there was another way I told her I'd ask around I didn't know of another way to get to it besides through the shower pan or braking concrete on the other side of the wall and digging over to it. She said if there is another way to fix it without actually having to break concrete or replace the shower pan she will sign everything and anything to keep me from being liable but wanted another solution or even a temporary one until she was able to get the money up to do all that she is a very sweet older woman all on her own. I became very close with her.

Re: P trap under concrete slab under brand new shower.
Author: steve (CA)

The washer drain and shower drains need venting. The vent protects the traps from siphoning.

Author: packy (MA)

i have no idea what this is or if it works.
the link will get you startd on an internet search.
good luck
[www.ebay.com]

Author: bsipps (PA)

Those are normally used in floor drains to take the place of a trap primer
They are not perfect and still tend to let a little smell come through

well at least it gets them pointed in the right direction.
after all it is only temporary.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

tough love ........................

just imagine how much she saved by not obtaining a building permit and final inspection

AS THE ACTUAL STATUTE REQUIRES in ALL of SC

(unless one is a HO performing the work THEMSELF and records the REQUIRED paperwork with the 'register of deeds')

............. yes, the facts are oft stranger than fiction

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: DaveMill (CA)

It is possible that adding the vent near the washer may solve the problem without requiring extensive rework on the shower.

It is also possible that a shower pan built by somebody who did not understand the need for venting will start to cause problems sooner rather than later.

Author: steve (CA)

I wonder if the clothes washer is draining into the shower vent?

Author: sum (FL)

"well tested it without the washer running as well. Filled the ptrap with water.. takes about 20 to 40 min but the water gets low. Enough in the ptrap for the gasses to come out the drain."

I can't reconcile this, if the water in the shower trap is getting low enough to let the gas passes without the washer running, then something else is going on, like a drain leak, right?

right..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.