Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet tank fills then goes down 1 inch
Author: Plumbing1! (NJ)

Hi plumbing Experts. smile. Something i am not.....

so I just installed a new Korky Fill Valve thing and a new Korky Flapper...

I Flush.. works fine.!

Then Tank fills up to high level (almost to top of the refil tube. which I thnk is where it should be) ... then water stops. Again .. all fine!

All still fine.. BUT ! Then, in an hour or so.. the tank slowly drops about an inch..and stays at that point.. that cant be right.. in other words, after you flush. It fills it almost to the top of the overflow pipe (which Korky says is correct level) and then for some reason it drops down an inch.. and stays at that level.... to me. It seems as if the flapper was just bad- and if the water was just leaking out the flapper into the bowl.. then it should just continue to go lower and lower and lower n the tank. But it does not.. it goes down that 1 inch..and seems to stay at that level... what did I do wrong ? When i put these new parts in ? Thanks, plumbing is the one home repair i have the. Most trouble with :-(.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Toilet tank fills then goes down 1 inch
Author: bsipps (PA)

Is the full water level in the tank below the handle
Is there a crack or hole in the overflow tube an inch below the top

Author: hj (AZ)

The refill tube is hanging 1" below the tank's full line. It siphons down to that point,

good morning.. hmm interesting. so if i understand correctly.. even though it initially fills up to the FILL line of the tank..which is still Below the very top of the refill tube [ so the waterat that point is still s 1/4 below the Top of the refill tube [so in other words it is not simple flowing back down the tube at that point]. and it turns offf [the water is no longer filling the tank]...still the water will somehow siphon out of the Tank down and out [in to the bowl?]. so that is why the next day teh water is now about an inch from the day before? ok good if that is normal? is there anything i need to do to change this? [and can you help me understand..just how and where is the water syphonng out. i mean whee the hole it goes down [not the tube, not the new flapper ? im confused still on that part- just wondering . thanks ! :0)

Author: packy (MA)

[www.google.com]

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the water will 'siphon' down to the level of the outlet of the fill tube

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Hi. Thanks for the pictures.. let me show you what I have..if i can figure out how to attach the 2 photos. If i can..the one shows the new Korky Fill Valve with the black refil tube just clipped to teh very top of the white Flush valve column. When I flush..the tank fills almost to the very top [but not to top] of that white Flush valve.. then. Over time..the water level has slowly sunk down in the tank. About 3/4 or so. Of an inch. And stays there. [ i have the water inlet turned off today.. to see if the tank would simply empty out . Ie there is a total leak etc.. in which case the tank water level should slowly empty the tank. But tht does not seem to happen. It just stays about 3/4 of an inch down]. -- although i must add. Today at some point i did decide to turn the water inlet back on. And i did see an occasional drip. Drip. At the side of the Fill Valve [not to confuse things :0) ].. anyway.. obvioulsy you also see the new Korky Flapper. Which seems to nicely cover the bottom adequately. All this because we decided to replace parts when I put in a new bathroom floor- i guess i should have left well enough alone :p............ hmm. I am not seeing a button to simply add a photo to this . Dang. Ill post my message and then go and try and figure that out...

[postimg.cc] [postimg.cc]. [postimg.cc] [postimg.cc] Ok. Not sure if i did this right.. to show what i have. This should be. Pictures. The name of the brand toilet. And 2 of tank. And if it does. Then you can see. The black hose actually is clipped above the white tube... so i understnad what you mean about siphoning now. How if it is too deep into the hose. Maybe the black hose can siphon out? Well this black hose is way up above any water actually. Do it cant siphon out.. if that makes sense. :0).

MORNING UPDATE: so i just went down and re looked.. it has now been sitting there over 12 hours.. and now the water in tank [ with the supply line clsed]. Now its down 2 inches...ok. So that tells me there must be a tiny tiny leak.. probalby at flapper [which is a brand new Korky Flapper] into the bowl. :0/.

Edited 1 times.

MORNING UPDATE!!
OK. SO I went and looked this morning.
Now the water supply has been turned off for 12 hours. Or. more.
And yes. The water in tank has sunk even more than the origianl 3/4 inch.
Now it is down like 2 inches lower int tank.
Which tells me.. the problem. A TINY TINY leaky flapper.
Even though it is a brand new Korky flapper.. and looks to be sitting nicely note 2 inch hole.
But i guess somehow there is a leak.
[i note tht these new Korky are not your normal old flapper, ithas a twist thingy in it and all]

next step: packet of food dye into the tank (full tank, water OFF) wait overnight - check bowl for color

if bowl water colored then:

new (preferably OEM) flapper making SURE the flush valve's seat is ABSOLUTELY smooth to the touch

next step

professional

Thanks. Ok.. i will try the color dye idea.. i assume the purpose here is..if the tank water is blue.. and later on.. without flushing. The bowl water is blue.. then that means it is leaking through the flush valve into the bowl....[which at this point ismy guess]. As for an OEM.. this is a Lamosa Sahara toilet that came when we built house . 30 years ago. A modular house. I have gone on line. Dont see that brand or parts.. anymore at all.... of course when you go to the box store. They sell Universal everything..i am using a Korky.. a new version that has the little adjuster thing in it [ you turn two dials to adjust how long it stays open] as icant find an OEM for it. :0/@. Thanks.

assuming you have a 'correct' universal flapper which matches the flush valve diameter

you might make sure there is enough slack in the chain (maybe 1 or 2 links worth) with the flapper CLOSED

thanks Bernabeu. ok i bought actually a blue tank clener. so that is bluinig the water nicely in tank. so i will see it in morning.. actually i had anohter idea.. i flushed first.. water is now lower than the top edge of the 2 inch round flush valve openng.. meaning.. if the 1/4 inches of water in the bottom of tank blueish water leaks into the tank. then it is coming from that i presume is a gasket underneath the plastic valve opening in the tank.. but if no blue in the morning. then ill fil tank.. and then wait a day.. then if it turns blue in bowl. then itis not that gasket it is the improper setting of the flapper on to the flush valve opening.. [and i think they sell some sort of large thin rubber ring you can glue on that opening if it is poor so a flapper sits nicer on it.. ill wait and see]
thanks much !

a 'snug' chain will put juuuust enough tension on the flapper so it does not seal completely even if it SEEMS to seat properly

the 'head' of water in the tank helps seal the flapper, but can not do so UNLESS the chain has slack

Author: sharp1 (IL)

IF the chain has a float attached to hold the flapper open during the flush, and IF the chain connection to the flapper is on the rim of the flapper, the float can sometimes lift that edge just enough for water to slowly leak into the bowl.

moring all.
as to chain.. no not too tight at all .. there is a bit of slack in it.
i have now even gone out and gotten another Korky g flapper. the one i first tried was ther newer one with the twist thing on it.. the one i got today is just a normal flapper of Korky.. and tried that.. it too apparently does not seat right.. note. i also did the normal ie.. wiped the white plastic flush valve where it sits.
that last step i guess buy that korky valve round disc and cement it to the old valve. and see if that works.
im a little afraid to do that.. if that doesn't work. then its stuck glued on there.. thoughts?

replace the flush valve

thanks.. and uhg.. this is an old 30 yearplus Lamosa toilet. to replace it i believe i need to unscew the tank from the base. right? well those 2 bolts are pretty well rusted shut. from the inside tank side. i doubt they are coming off.. so option 2 - i bought a Korky valve ring . i see if i use the silicon on it it goes over the valve.. anyone here use that with success.. it is supposed to make a better seal i guess. ???????

replacing the flush valve is a SIMPLE job for a plumber

the bolts WILL come out (the nuts are accessed from UNDERNEATH the assembly)

with the proper tools the nuts can be 'cut off' if necessary

do not waste your time and money trying to 'fix' a flush valve

rebuild the tank and be done with it

OR

modernise and save water by installing a new toilet

Thanks everyone clap

Solved... bought Korky with a replacemtn valve disc [use silicone to attach] and that seems to stop the leak [note; whey you call them for advise they give conflicitng info from what is on the package.. ie package says sandpaper the old valve down , gal says use wet rag. also gal said the selicone is removable - nope its sealed on there for good] But it works :0) thanks everyone !

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.