Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sump Pump Outside
Author: Hags428 (PA)

Hello
This questions comes from me adding a circuit into my power panel. I have anbreaker labeled "sump pump". I searched the basement for one but could not find it. So, Outside my house I have a green circular lid so I took it off and there it was. Is this sump pump for the foundation? Also. How do I know if it goes bad or is even working. There is no alarm that i am aware of

[postimg.cc]

Edited 1 times.

Re: Sump Pump Outside
Author: bernabeu (SC)

lift the float, it 'should' start

you could also stuff the inlet pipe with a rag and use a garden hose to fill the sump

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bsipps (PA)

Wow how deep is that pump

elevation wise it is below the basement floor at the level of the footing drain(s)

but

for whatever reason, installed outdoors

Author: hi (TX)

Sounds like a sewage lift station to me

? an empty CLEAN lift station serving an occupied structure ?

not likely

I have a septic tank, so it is not a sewage pump. The sewage is gravity fed to the septic I did not measure it but i would guess it is about 8-10ft. The house was built in 2008. The indoor height from the basement floor to the top of the block foundation is 7'6". Could this exterior pump be for an exterior drain tile? Thanks

Edited 1 times.

yes

Thanks. Should there be an alarm or something to that nature on the pump? Short of pulling it out and testing it, is there anyway to check if it is working?

Author: packy (MA)

its really not a big deal to remove the pump.

turn off the power.
loosen the clamp/s on the rubber coupling.
separate the discharge pipe from the rubber coupling.
grab the 90 and lift everything out.
put the set-up into a 5 gallon bucket of water, aim the 90 away from the house and turn the power on.
i would also take a garden hose and push it into the rubber coupling pipe and let it run for a couple of minutes to make sure the discharge will accept water.

Re: Sump Pump Outside clap

Thank you very much! Will do

Edited 1 times.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

You have a 15-year-old house. Before doing ANYTHING, ascertain the purpose of the pump, whether it works, and whether it still meets the original design requirement. As previous posters have said, first fill the sump with a hose to test function. If it does, find out where the water source is, and stick a hose in that to test whether the sump still effectively drains that source. If it works, then the question becomes, do you need to fix what isn't broken?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.