Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Clear water running down the OUTSIDE of main stack in basement
Author: ginas (NJ)

Clear water will runs down the OUTSIDE of the main stack. First pretty substantial leak was after taking shower in bathroom #1 on first level and flushing toilets in Bathroom #1 and/or bathroom #2 on first level. We have had leaky flaps but could hear the tank refilling and we do NOT have that this time. Have kind of ruled out the second level since we turned off the water supplies to the second level both hot and cold and have not used the shower nor toilet in bathroom #3 on second level in days. We are going to put red and blue food dye into the tanks today on the first level Before the plumber rips out the wall, I want to trouble shoot this further. Any ideas?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Clear water running down the OUTSIDE of main stack in basement
Author: packy (MA)

that usually means the cast iron stack has a vertical crack in it.

Well, now we have narrowed it down to the toilet in bathroom # 2 and NOT from anywhere else after keeping a log of what was done and what precipitated the water coming down in the basement. After doing a LOT of research, it seems to be narrowed down to the wax ring OR a leak in the supply line TO the toilet in bathroom #2. We put red food coloring into the tank, but the water in the basement is CLEAR. I think that it must be a crack in the cold water supply line. I just can NOT figure out why it stops after the tank gets filled up. Anyone know why?

is it a separate tank and bowl bolted together?

the gasket in between may be leaking

Yes, the tank and bowl are bolted together but NO water on floor of bathroom. Thank you for helping me trouble shoot this.

Author: sharp1 (IL)

If the rubber boot on the roof vent is cracked, rainwater can follow the outside of the stack to the basement if there is clearance in the wood framing. Repair covers for the boots are available and very easy to install.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the small trap fill line pops out of the overflow tube and the 'spray' seeps down the OUTSIDE of the tank/bowl and travels down the OUTSIDE of the 'hidden' piping

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

so to be clear...
you put food coloring in the tank and flushed it.
the water shows up down below but it is clear color.
the floor around the toilet is perfectly dry.

try pouring a couple of 5 gallon buckets of water into the toilet bowl. see what happens

if nothing shows then take off the tank cover and SLOWLY pour water into the tank letting it go down the overflow pipe. pour plenty in using a pot from the kitchen.

after that, i'm outta ideas.

The plumber was here the other day and checked the roof vents and they were dry. So that is basically ruled out. I will have him recheck this Friday when he comes. Thanks

NOW, we are having the same problem with bathroom #1. We turned OFF the water supply on the floor in bathroom #2. It seems that we have a plumbergeist that comes in the middle of the night. We are keeping a log, but can NOT find any pattern except it is these toilets in bathroom #2 and NOW bathroom #1 and NOT the sinks! PLUS, it is intermittent. Sure hope that it is NOT going to cost us thousand of $$$ just to find out what the problem is.

I am thinking that you may be right about it being a stack leak! Thank you all. When it gets fixed (hopefully soon). I will let you all know!

Edited 1 times.

Son-in-law, who also knows a LOT about remodeling and water since his Dad is a Contractor and took him to jobs from the age of five to teach him, said TURN OFF WATER at the base of the last toilet which caused a leak. Thankfully, NO water in basement, we are refilling the tank with a bucket of water as needed. Seems to point to a leak in the supply line for the cold water! Hope that the plumber agrees with us. We have been keeping a log of water use. I WILL let you all know.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.