Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 External faucet leaks in the wall when on
Author: justageek4u (WA)

I just went to use my external faucet and when I turned it on the water started leaking from the bottom of the wall. I turned it off and it stopped. I had an EV charger installed 6 months ago and I’m wondering if one of the screws they used to Mount the cable hit a line. If it did though, why does it only leak when it’s on?

Re: External faucet leaks in the wall when on
Author: packy (MA)

the faucet is most likely the freeze proof variety.
the washer that stops the flow of water to the outside is located somewhere inside thw wall.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

The most likely scenario - the frost-free faucet body split over the winter because a hose was left attached to the faucet over the winter, preventing the faucet from draining properly.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: justageek4u (WA)

So it’s possibly a screw they used when installing the Ev charger punctured the line after the washer? To address other concerns, I used a winter insulation sleeve and didn’t have a hose connected.

it would be hard for me to envision how a screw installed from outside could have done this.
i'm thinking you didn't leave the handle in the open position ???
proper winter sequence is remove hose and open handle to drain the body of the valve.
no winter cover is neded.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ........

If the OP has a true frost proof faucet the procedure is to CLOSE the valve, disconnect the hose, which allows the outer tube exposed to the weather to drain.

It is juuuust possible that the 'cover' prevented full drainage allowing a 'freeze and split' to occur

bern... My mistake.
remove hose and CLOSE the valve.
sometimes i type faster than my brain can function.

close the valve THEN remove the hose

tongue sticking out smiley

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

It is also possible that the frost free valve was not installed with the proper slope, in which case, even with no hose connected, the valve body can still split.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.