Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Adding full bath
Author: Jon2222 (IL)

I have a plan to add a bathroom to our downstairs basement. Right now the room next to this has a toilet amd utility tub, washer/dryer, vent for drain, water heater. I am wanting to add a full bath next to this room for the bedroom. I have searched and seen different "suggestions" whether they are correct or not I am unsure. It would be tub, then toilet, then sink.

Can I run all 3 of these into one drain cut out the concrete over to the existing toilet line or into the main line leading out of the house? Or do i need 2 drain lines? Which is the preffered/correct way?

I plan to add a vent or 2 if needed to either run up to connect to existing vent. There would be a horizontal pipe run with each of these due to dropped ceiling in basement. I can run at the normal slope or run a higher than 1/4" per foot if needed. I did not want to add a pump system if possible and would rather due to it to last with proper drains. My thoughts are run all 3 together to the main drain line. Vent off the toilet up and over then vent the tub or sink up into this line.

Is this plan correct?

I am not sure of the exact location of the main drain line but it is either within the wall behind the existing toilet or just past within a foot due to a floor drain in the garage which has standing water about 10" down from the surface of the concrete. The distance between where the new drain would be to the existing is approximately 8'.

I appreciate the help and incite. Just wanting to make sure it is down properly.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Adding full bath
Author: bernabeu (SC)

building permit
!!!

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

No permits required where I am.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

? are you sure ?

The State of Illinois recently passed legislation (Public Act 103-0510) changing the Capital Development Board Act to require statewide building codes effective 1/1/2025. Until then, units of local government such as cities and counties can adopt codes of their choice. The best and most accurate answers to building code questions must be answered by your city, village, or county code official.

This statute merely CODIFIES all the 'local' codes into one statewide code.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Yes I checked with county and city prior to even beginning to plan. I figured out how to properly drain with correct vents through another contractor who is a licensed plumber. He agreed with the new plan I came up by switching the bathroom fixtures and sides of room.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.