Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sewer smell
Author: meganthomas320 (KS)

We have a grinder pump in our hvac room. The issue is the small amount of smell that comes from it when it runs gets blasted around the house because it sits literally right next to it. It is elevated above it but we want to use our basement bathroom without the smell going throughout the house.

Would a fan on top of the vent stack on the roof help get the odor out quick enough?

Would you place the fan closer to the grinder pump to help get it out of the hvac room? We have had multiple smoke tests and nothing else is leaking.

Please help us get our house back!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Sewer smell
Author: packy (MA)

you need to fix the cause not fix the sympton.
a fan is not the answer.
someone needs to figure out where the smell is coming from and fix it.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

We know it is coming from the grinder pump.

Author: Curly (CA)

Post a picture of pump etc. and maybe we can something ........

the 'lid' of the pump may need to be 'resealed'

[inspectapedia.com]

Edited 1 times.

bern.. i would think if the lid was leaking there would be a smell when it was filling not when it was pumping.

to me when its filling it pushes air (smell) outwards but when it pumps it is sucking for air.

person says it smells when it pumps ???

? improper cross connection of a condensate line ?

this is a perfect example of trying to diagnose a problem over the internet.

sometimes the cause of the problem is plain and simple.
sometimes (like this one) it needs an onsite visit from a qualified individual.

We have had three plumbing companies come and evaluate. No one can provide a good solution. I siliconed the top yesterday. This AM it smelled terribly after the pump ran. I will try siliconing more tonight but I doubt it will work. Any way I can find the right people to call for this?

Is it possible that a vent stack can be too long and cause a lack of gas exhaust because of how long it is? I just find it odd that it occurs when the pump is activated.

post some pics of ALL the piping including any from the ac / furnace / water heater

I can’t figure out how to post my own pictures! Does anyone have any tips? I have looked at the below information

Author: steve (CA)

You post the pictures from your storage source to a hosting site and then provide us a link.
[www.plbg.com]

[ibb.co]

[ibb.co]

[ibb.co]

[ibb.co]

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Where does the white condensate drain pipe drain to? Is there a trap on that pipe?

Author: Curly (CA)

Have you always had this problem ? Or Everything was Ok and it just started or was something changed/worked on/added etc. and then it started ?

Basically the history of the smell.....thinking

Author: bsipps (PA)

There are 2 check valves near the hvac unit just wondering if they are old or spares
Once the lid is pulled from the crock it should be resealed between the crock and bottom of the lid

AND all the piping needs to be sealed

AND the electric

? is the top wet, or is it merely reflection(s) ?

all / any condensate lines require traps to prevent gas / odor backflow into hvac ductwork - the white pvc is evidently a 'standpipe' into which at least one clear flex discharges

does the tank vent go independantly thru the roof or is something else tied into it ?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.