Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Oatey No Caulk 2" Copper
Author: njdiyguy (NJ)

I finally got around to the shower drain that has been collecting dust due to a leak in the drain assembly. Used Oatey No Caulk and got the appropriate gasket for 2" copper DVW and used silicone lubricant. I cannot get it to seat as low as it should. It is proud of the drain by about one rib in the gasket (of three I believe). I did a test and got a drop of water after a few hours (I didn't see anything immediately, but I wrapped a paper towel around the drain pipe above ptrap and it was a bit damp in a single spot so I deduced a drop or two made it's way down).

Should I: 1)replace and try again 2)put silicone over gasket (i know....) 3) call a plumber

Any helpful suggestions?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Oatey No Caulk 2" Copper
Author: steve (CA)

Pull the gasket out, measure the length to make sure it should full seat in the well and try again. I use liquid soap as a lubricant.

Thanks. I tried a few times. It is getting stuck on the internal threads and I'm worried about ripping it. I forgt to mention that in OP

Author: steve (CA)

You are sure it's a 2" copper gasket and not an 1 1/2" schedule 40 gasket?

As best I can be. I ordered the gasket that states 2" copper. I'll try another water test and see what happens.

Author: packy (MA)

don't worry about damaging the gasket. they are pretty tough.
you are doing the right thing by lubricating it.
use a thin block of wood to force it down
is the gasket you got directional?
the tapered end faces up

tapered end up, yes. Thanks, I'll push a bit more and see what I can get.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

sounds weird, but, use butter as the lubricant

best temporary lube in the world and will damage NOTHING

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Don411 (IN)

I saw that in a movie at a bachelor party once....

seriously

it is 'slipprier' than 3in1 oil

available in every home

free (just ask the HO)

safe for any material, 'o' ring, foam gasket, etc

just be careful not to get it on your own fingers/hand or you will not have any grip at all

Author: Don411 (IN)

That's a great tip, Bern! I just saw a video of a guy that used a crayon to remove a rusted oxygen sensor from an auto exhaust pipe. Those O2 sensors get rusted in there something fierce. He heated the bung and melted a crayon on the exposed threads of the sensor. The melted wax runs in along the threads, and after it cooled a bit it came loose easily with a wrench. In fact, once it was broken loose, he was able to unscrew it by hand.

Got it! Thanks
[photos.app.goo.gl]

Edited 1 times.

sooooooooo ......... did you butter it up before you slipped it in ????????????????????

seriously, good job

Author: packy (MA)

very nice job..

I did not use butter. Silicone lube and a the end of a faucet seat wrench. Thanks all. Now on to the tub drain and drum trap that needs to be replaced in the bathroom I'm actually working on...no rest for the weary

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.