Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Unable to loosen toilet supply but from tank (metal fill valve and metal nut)
Author: Transparent27 (NY)

Have tried using channel lock pliers but cannot get the nut to budge (turning it clockwise if looking from above, or counter-clockwise from below).

The fill valve is a very old American Standard metal fill valve that uses a ball cock for shut off.

The supply line seemed to be leaking from the line itself, so I figured I’d replace it while I replaced some of the internal fill valve gaskets/rubber valve and parts.

I would like to know if I can undo this nut without buying a lot of tools or stuff that I’ll just use once—- but willing to buy if it will work for sure. I have a set of channel lock pliers of varying sizes, but no basin wrenches, vise lock pliers or penetrating oil / WD-40 (ran out).

Photos:

One problem: the toilet is VERY close to a tub on the left (5” from the side of the tank to the tub, there’s a bit more room under the tank but not enough for me to lay on my back fully, just kind of on my side), and I can only barely squeeze between to look underneath, without much room to maneuver so I can’t get much torque if I’m under. Above I can’t see what I’m doing…

I’ve read that maybe I need to grip the nut holding the fill valve stem to the tank and then turn the supply line nut, but I have no way of getting both my arms underneath.

What can I do to loosen the nut?

Thanks for any advice!

UPDATE: I was finally able to remove by using locking pliers to hold the fill valve in place (braced against the side of the tank), so when I turned the supply line nut it wouldn’t move together.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Unable to loosen toilet supply but from tank (metal fill valve and metal nut)
Author: steve (CA)

I would use a Dremel tool and cut a vertical slot in the nut. Insert a screwdriver in the slot, twist and try to expand/crack the nut. If you have a small torch, you could try heating the nut to expand it.

Re: Unable to loosen toilet supply but from tank (metal fill valve and metal nut)
Author: packy (MA)

yeah, the seal at that joint is made by a rubber gasket.
so if you make a tiny knick in the male threads, it will do no harm.

Thank you both, I’ll give those ideas a try and report back.

So I tried using heat (no dice) and a basin wrench I borrowed. The toilet is low profile so the basin wrench doesn’t quite fit, just an inch or so too long, and I can’t get a good grip to turn, and when I do turn it seems to be turning the fill valve too.

I don’t have anyone that can help me, and I was thinking I could maybe try a faucet wrench like this:

[www.amazon.com]

Would that work? The supply line product page shows the diameter of the connection is 7/8”, but I think the nut is bigger, is it a standard size?

[www.kullysupply.com]

I want to try this before doing dremel since I can’t really see what I’m doing under the toilet since it’s such a tight space.

Thanks!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

You need a basin wrench with a square shaft AND 'someone' to hold back on the valve in the tank.

[a.co]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.