Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 700,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Welcome to Plbg.com (also known as PlumbingForum.com) where plumbing advice, education, information, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers and plumbing contractors anywhere who all wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been free without popup or other invasive ads and known to be the best online STRICTLY PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to find and/or purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Laundry room plumbing issue-- Help!
Author: pooner88 (FL)

Hey All-- New here as this is something I have not had to do on this scale before. I am renovating our laundry room, which currently only has the hookups for the washing machine box, but I want to add a sink as well. So I need some help with running the drain pipe mostly to make sure it is correct and to code for both the new sink drain and the washer drain pipe. This pic is how the setup currently is. The sink will be going on the right (where the washer box is now, indicated by the Yellow box) and the washer box will be moved over to the left as I indicated with my lackluster drawing skills. The water pipes seem pretty simple as I just need to add some Tees to get them over to the new laundry box but they are in a good spot for where the sink will be going.

But as for the drain, I am really not sure. I was "thinking" of just adding a new sanitary tee on the middle drain pipe (above the current sanitary tee) and having it facing left, and using the same configuration that is currently on the right side, and running that to the new washer box-- But I am not at all sure if you can have 2 sanitary Tees on one pipe like that. Or would it be better to cut that out and just use a double sanitary tee? Also, for the new sink drain, what would be the best way to get that from the current configuration to the current drain pipe? Could I just cut the right pipe (the old washer drain) and add a 2"- 1 1/2" coupler and attached the sink drain to that?

Thanks in advance for any help everyone!!

Re: Laundry room plumbing issue-- Help!
Author: Don411 (IN)

You should be able to just add a san tee as pictured for the drain.

Author: steve (CA)

It depends on your local code. Under the UPC, you would need to have the clothes washer tee below the sink tee. Under the IPC, only bathroom fixtures can utilize a vertical wet vent. You could reuse the existing tee for the sink if you install a sink vent that ties back into the vent stack and then install the upper tee for the clothes washer.

Author: packy (MA)

what you don't want to happen is when the washer drains it syphons the water out ouf the sink trap.
now... as steve said, one jusritiction thinks it can happen and another thinks it can not happen.
also the 220V oultet shouldn't be under the washer box.

Author: steve (CA)
It depends on your local code. Under the UPC, you would need to have the clothes washer tee below the sink tee. Under the IPC, only bathroom fixtures can utilize a vertical wet vent. You could reuse the existing tee for the sink if you install a sink vent that ties back into the vent stack and then install the upper tee for the clothes washer.

------------------------------------

Thanks for the info Steve. Here in FL we are under the IPC, so I will tie the sink vent back into the vent stack as you mentioned. Just curious, I cannot seem to find the reasoning as to why it can't just be tied in at the current T without the tie back? I imagine it has something to do with avoiding backups through the vent, but I would just like to know the reason for that. Thanks again!

Author: packy (MA)
what you don't want to happen is when the washer drains it syphons the water out ouf the sink trap.
now... as steve said, one jusritiction thinks it can happen and another thinks it can not happen.
also the 220V oultet shouldn't be under the washer box.

--------------------------------------------------------

Packy, Thanks for the response and good point. We are in FL so we're under the IPC, so what would you recommend? Is it ok if I install the tieback like Steve said, even if the sink T is under the washer T?

And yes, the outlets will be moved as well, thanks for the heads up though!

Author: packy (MA)

the picture steve posted is how i would do it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.