Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 cannot find replacement flange for old bathtub
Author: Kathy17 (GA)

Hello everyone,

I have a 40 year old house, and I naively thought I would change out the fixtures in one of our bathtubs, including the drain, as it was old and rusting. I successfully changed out the fixtures, but when I removed the old drain flange (with much sweat and cursing), I found that no 'universal' flange will fit. I went to a plumbing supply store and they told me no one makes something that will fit. I REALLY don't want to have to cut into the ceiling and have a plumber replace the shoe and pipe with standard threads. I want to make 100% sure that there is no other way. Can anyone advise? Photos below of the old flange and the shoe. (let me know if I did not post them correctly)

Also, as a point of knowledge only, how do you count the threads on this shoe or flange? I keep seeing TPI referenced, but I don't get the right counts, even for the ones I know the TPI for...user error.

I would love to hear what anyone has to say on this.

Thank you!

Edited 1 times.

Re: cannot find replacement flange for old bathtub
Author: steve (CA)

What is the diameter of the threaded portion of the flange? 1 7/8", 1 5/8",...?
The TPI is "threads per inch", so put a tape measure/ruler next to the threaded section and count how many threads are in an inch of length.

Sorry, forgot to post this image of a ruler and the shoe threads.

The ID is 1 3/8", OD seems to be about 1 1/2" but not sure.

Author: packy (MA)

steve is asking for dimensions for the last picture you posted.

[www.homedepot.com]

Just bought that today. Doesn't fit.

Author: steve_g (CA)

What about getting the old flange re-plated?

it doesn't fit because it is
too small
too big
thread pattern is different
or a combination of above

It screws in a few turns then stops--I am thinking threads are wrong, hence my question about the TPI. I have thought about re-plating, but plumbing supply store said the threads are so worn I shouldn't re-use it.

Author: Don411 (IN)

Try to measure the threads on the flange....you will never get an accurate measurement on the shoe looking down into the hole like that with a ruler. The flange and shoe have to have the same TPI if they screw together.

There is also a tool called a Thread Gauge that has size samples that hold against the threads for an exact measurement. Picture is for example, you may find one of these in stock at a home center or hardware store, and if you take the flange with you, you should be able to measure right in the store and get an exact TPI.

Kathy17
It screws in a few turns then stops

That would indicate that the diameter is correct but the TPI is wrong. If you take the old flange to the store you should be able to check the TPI on a new one by holding them together.

Edited 1 times.

Match old and new flanges like these bolts are being compared.

Edited 1 times.

Thank you, Don, I will try this, although I have been told it is for screws and not pipes/flanges.

Edited 1 times.

Thank you, Steve, for the graph. I have posted a few more photos and would be interested in knowing thoughts about the threads per inch and the ID/OD (ID is 1 3/8, pretty sure, but OD??)

Edited 1 times.

Larger photos

[postimg.cc]

Edited 6 times.

its awfully hard to count the way you have the ruler positioned.
hold it with the 1/2 inch line even with the bottom thread and multiply x 2

I'm coming up with 1 1/2" x 18 tpi...???

Packy here is another. You can see where I tried to use sharpie to see where the threads are.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

I would bet you have 16 TPI

? Kohler ?

try: [www.plumbingsupply.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

looks to me like 20 TPI

nope

8 per 1/2"

bern, as far as i know kohler Co never made the thin type flange that the threads roll over at the bottom.
only the cheaper varieties came that way.
i'm gonna go out on a limb and say american standard.
there is a picture on the internet of one but from a site we can't post from.

IMO (for the OP)

The piece you have is solid brass.

Clean 'er up, 'polish' the face, reuse as is OR have it (re)plated in the finish of your choice.

best of luck

Thank you, everyone

Thank you, everyone.

I don't think it is 16 dpi because I tried one with that and it did not fit. If it is indeed 18 or 20, no idea where I would get one of those. I guess the best option is to reinstall the old one. However, to install a non-trip type drain (I stupidly tossed the trip linkage from the old one so have no idea of the size), I would need a screw-in bar that is 3/16", and as far as I know there are only 3/8" or 5/16" available. This is just the weirdest situation. Why can't there be one standard and everyone stick with it? thinking disappointed

Edited 2 times.

take the old one to an actual plumbing supply house such as:

Palmet** Parts

Fergus** Supply

Longl** Supply

??????????????????? VIC ??????????????????????

kathy, now you can appreciate when someone calls and says "i have a little plumbing problem. it should only take 5 minutes". we shrug our shoulders and smile.
good luck with your hunt..

Appreciation to all who weighed in clap

Thanks, everyone. I have decided to replace the old flange and use the Watco
Universal NuFit Push Pull Bathtub Stopper on top of it. Packy, totally respect the intricacy of plumbing!!

Appreciation to all who weighed in.

Edited 1 times.

Old bathtub replacement

Glad you got it fixed! Thread gauges are for anything with threads, not just screws and bolts. As you can tell from the responses, it's hard to tell with a ruler, so a thread gauge gives you a better and more definitive answer.

The problem with standards is that they change....better ideas come along and after working with stablished standards for 50 years, experience on what works or doesn't drives change....

Edited 1 times.

Re: Old bathtub replacement

as does profit and loss..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.