Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Gas water heater fresh air intake question
Author: Rustycar (AZ)

I've got a gas water heater in a mobile home. Fresh air comes in to the water heater "closet" via a pipe coming from underneath the mobile. A while ago the heater was replaced, I'm guessing not by a licensed plumber. The combustion gases vent is no longer vertical - it leans at a little angle, and the fresh air supply vent is aligned almost exactly with the air intake vent on the heater. We've had complaints about the burner (or maybe pilot light) getting blown out, and now that I'm here looking at it, windy conditions outside seem to be related to the burner not burning evenly. (When I watched it on a windy day I was concerned the burner might get blown out, as whole sections of flame were gone (oh, 25 degree angle of no flame).

I have not had anything blown out (assuming by wind), but haven't had extremely strong winds in the 9 days I've been here.

So, is my assumption that the combustion air intake of the heater should NOT be precisely aligned with the outside air supply correct? (In other words, do I need to move the water heater back to where the exhaust ( B ) vent aligns with the rest of the exhaust system, as well as rotate heater so fresh air vents aren't aligned)?

Re: Gas water heater fresh air intake question
Author: packy (MA)

open some windows on the home, leave the water heater closet door open and cover the fresh air intake in the floor.
see what happens?
BTW, i've never seen this problem before.
all the problems i see are related to not enough make up air or gas pressure not set correctly or burner gas/air ratio not correct.
lastly, a big word of caution here. gas is very dangerous.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.