Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Dishwasher back up
Author: lde (WA)

This is a brand new (and still is) dishwasher btw. So after some troubleshooting, here are the findings:

- it seems to wash OK and also makes sounds of draining but when its done there's always water inside
- so then i turn off the water, disconnect the dishwasher to garbage collector/crusher? hose and hold it in a bucket. Turn drain cycle on and everything drains just fine and with the right force. So that seems to rule out any clogging anywhere, drain motor or the drain hose yes? else it would not drain?
- then it must be that the water is just flowing back somehow so I search and people talk of a high loop which is a common problem in inspection OR the need for an airgap which I don't have. So the high loop is apparently quick, so I try it out as in the picture below, but nothing changes.

Have I got the high loop wrong?

some videos say to go straight up from the dishwasher, then along the top and then drop it into the garbage crusher. should I try that?if my high loop is fine, what else could this be?

Do note again - this is a brand new dishwasher for all practical purposes. we've never used it over 4 years. Thoughts? Thank you so much.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Dishwasher back up
Author: Lorensr (CA)

Did you use a flat screwdriver to Punch out the plug in the Garbage Disposer?

Thank you Lorensr. I did not no. As in, when we bought the place the previous owners/contractors had already installed the dishwasher.

Is what you are suggesting easy to do? What should I search for to learn more about it?

Edit: Its literally what you said. Poke a screwdriver and the plug will fall out. I'll try that tomorrow and let you know. thanks.

Edit 2: I took the drain-dishwasher connector off and felt with a finger and it feels like there is a plastic'ey piece there which is almost certainly what you are talking about as well.

Edited 3 times.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Your high loop is fine, the only water that could drain back is residual water in the hose, which is minimal.

There is a anti drain back rubber flap at the outlet of the drain pump which should prevent even that residual water from flowing back into the DW sump.

Have you tried putting the DW into diagnostics mode and running the drain pump?

Thanks George. That is a relief as I was hoping I didn't have to do that again.

I haven't put it into diagnostics mode though. How would I do that? I am searching for a manual but in the meantime, here is the front of the dishwasher:

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Every manufacturer has their own procedure for diagnostics mode. A google search, with your model number will bring up the procedure.
You might not need to do anything but knock out the plug as Lorensr pointed out.

Author: packy (MA)

you can look inside the disposer with a flashlight to see if there is a hole in the side right where the hose connects. the hole is about 3/4 inch in size.

BTW, you'd be surprised at how many 'newbies' make this mistake.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

'sometimes' a small hole can be punched in the knockout if a phillips driver was used

said hole will permit partial drainage of the d/w

use a slotted driver to COMPLETELY punch out the hole from around the 'sides'

you may need to remove the knocked out piece from the disposal

UNPLUG the disposal before 'fishing'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thank you very much. I tried punching a hole but there's not much room so I disconnected the garbage disposal unit from the sink and have taken a picture. Can you or someone else confirm I am on the right track and I just need to knock it out from the sides as mentioned?

I tried hitting it but it made a few dents and then I got scared and stopped till I posted and got some help to make sure I was on the right track.

Here is the picture:

Author: steve (CA)

I use a flat tip screwdriver, placing the flat tip in the thinner groove on the outer edge of the plug and hit it with the hammer.

Re: Dishwasher back up clap

Thank you Steve. That did work and the plug is out now. The dishwasher is now running so hopefully everything is ok. Will update everyone once its done.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

i use a nutdriver and just bash it.
[www.spiderhillpropworks.com]

All good - everything's draining well. Thank you everyone so much smiling smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.