Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Live Ball Valve
Author: ChrisM65 (MN)

Hello. I have a closed ball valve in an old building that is live on one side (i.e., pressurized, water) and, on the other side, is just an open female sweat fitting. I would like to add a shutoff to the open side. May I just sweat the desired fittings plus shutoff to the open side without shutting off and draining the system? Thanks for any input.

Re: Live Ball Valve
Author: packy (MA)

yes you may.. it is done all the time

Author: Lorensr (CA)

Just don't burn up the ball plastic parts. Solder and quickly cool with spray bottle of water.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Two quick follow-up questions, please:

1. Will it take longer to hea the side I'm soldering by virtue of the adjacent, nearby water (i.e., heat sink)?

2. Is there any risk of the water boiling and the pipe bursting on the live side?

Thanks.

Author: packy (MA)

1) depends on the type torch you are using. a properly sized tip burning mapp gas would not take any longer but a small tip bernzomatic homeowner variety torch will take a few seconds longer.
2) the water in the pipe will make it impossible to heat the joint to the approx 450 deg needed to get it apart.

just ask any plumber who has tried to solder a joint with a little water just laying in the pipe.

Author: sum (FL)

You are trying to add a shutoff after the ball valve which is a shutoff. Is this because the ball valve is not working right or you just want two shutoffs in series as some kind of insurance in case one breaks?

I want to make sure you are not referring to a plug or a cap when you said "shutoff" because if that is the case it will be difficult to solder that in a closed space with nowhere for the expanded air to escape.

Thanks for all the help everyone. applause

You're right, my use of "shutoff" in the "after" context was weird. Apologies, I should have said "boiler valve". I just want a place to hook up a garden hose. It's inside, but it's in a work room. E.g., I was recently mixing some hot mud there and nearby water would have been handy.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I took care of this today and all is well.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.