Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 rough in for year-round cabin?
Author: agentzed (ME)

Hi all,
Long time since I was here, and now need some advice! We have just built a year-round cabin, and I need to do rough-in plumbing before the floor insulation is put in. Cabin is on posts, and is about 2' above ground where the toilet will be. Will only have toilet, sink, and kitchen sink. My question is what I need to do underneath the cabin, where I will have the 3" toilet discharge, and the sink discharge (1.5", 2"?) meeting below the floor, and then into the ground to get to the septic. Do I need to have an insulated box or something around the pipes that will be exposed to very cold air (Maine) in the winter? And, perhaps more importantly, what kind of insulation will I need when I bring my water supply in? (thinking 1" black poly from our house)....

Is there a standard way this gets plumbed?

Thanks!

Re: rough in for year-round cabin?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

Insulation only slows freezing, will NOT prevent it.

Unless the piping has 'some' source of heat it WILL freeze.

If the cabin is occupied, think heated, then you want the piping exposed to said heat but insulated from the cold.

If the cabin is unoccupied/unheated then the water piping requires draining 'for the winter'.

Think in terms of a 'pipe chase' insulated on the cold side but NOT insulated on the warm side.

Packy may chime in.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Re: rough in for year-round cabin?
Author: packy (MA)

WOW.. you realize the one inch poly will need to be buried at least four feet deep. then where it turns up to come into the house the only way to keep it from freezing is heat tape. (as long as central maine power doesn't fail on the cold nights).
i'm thinking the drains may need the same solution.
the only product i would consider is frostex

[www.nvent.com]

Re: rough in for year-round cabin? thumbs
Author: agentzed (ME)

Thanks. This has been a bit of my worry.... This is gonna turn out to be much more difficult than I had envisioned....

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.