Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower valve installation
Author: Tom the Elder (CA)

A few weeks ago, 70 y.o. galvanized water pipes replaced with PEX (by licenced plumber). Galvanized for shower stall left in place, connected to PEX in subfloor, to be replaced when shower remodeled. Shower replacement by a licenced general contractor started today; Old shower torn out down to studs. Red and blue PEX installed - I don't know how connected in subfloor. The shower valve (Delta R10000 UNBX) was left on tool box with SharkBite fittings installed.

1) What do you think of using sharkbite fittings in an enclosed space? Is it acceptable General Contractor practice?
2) the Delta valve appears to be low end but it was my mistake not to ask what valve would be used. Is this a big enough problem that I should pay more for a better quality valve? If so, what valve do you recommend?

Thanks.

Re: Shower valve installation
Author: steve (CA)

I use the R10000 on most of my installs, but you need stop valves for the supply lines to the shower. Is there a manifold suppling the shower? If no, you should have an R10000 UNWS valve housing("WS" means "with stops" ). The sharkbite fittings might be rated for in-wall burial, but I only use them for temporary work.

California Plumbing Code

"606.5 Control Valve
A control valve shall be installed immediately ahead of each water-supplied appliance and immediately ahead of each slip joint or appliance supply.

Parallel water distribution systems shall provide a control valve either immediately ahead of each fixture being supplied or installed at the manifold, and shall be identified with the fixture being supplied. Where parallel water distribution system manifolds are located in attics, crawl spaces, or other locations not readily accessible, a separate shutoff valve shall be required immediately ahead of each individual fixture or appliance served."

Edited 1 times.

Steve, great info. Thanks!

Author: packy (MA)

find out now how the pex is connected below the floor.

Author: hj (AZ)

I would not have any problem with the valve, But would NEVER USE SHARKBITES to connect it. They would only be used by someone who did not knew any other way to connect the tubing.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Is it acceptable General Contractor practice? ~ YES

Is it acceptable Plumbing Contractor practice? ~ NO

remember: code is the absolute MINIMUM requirement for human occupation, often it is NOT best or even good practice

This issue is why there 'should' be a set of actual specifications, ONE of which is minimum code compliance, including what material and fixtures are to be installed and HOW.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Packy, I went under to check how the PEX was connected in the subfloor. As I expected, those connections are also sharkebite. I don't mind those because any problem is easily found and fixed.

Sharkbite in the wall is another story but I guess I will live with it. A big factor is that I have a Flume water sensor that lets me know when I have a leak. I am really impressed with the Flume. It recently notified me that I had a leak (turned out to be an irrigation system valve) that was leaking at 0.06 gallons per hour.

Bernabeu, you said, "This issue is why there 'should' be a set of actual specifications, ONE of which is minimum code compliance, including what material and fixtures are to be installed and HOW."

I really, really hope I remember this excellent advice next time I hire a contractor for ANYTHING.

Thank you.

To elaborate on 'contracting out':

One wants to 'build' something.

One can not DIY for whatever reason.

One calls various contractors and gets several proposals.

One selects a proposal and turns that into a set of SPECIFICATIONS detailing exactly what work will be performed and what material will be used. Said specs may be very detailed or more generalized in nature.

eg. loose: provide and install 4 fixture bathroom in upstairs xyz area as per code ~ specific: remove existing shower stall and existing piping and replace with tiled shower stall containing 2 valve shower with hand spray and diverter [shall be abc model 123 or equivalent equal] all piping shall installed according to industry best practice and shall have NO concealed mechanical joints and shall meet code

One puts said specs out for bids so that one compares oranges to oranges and does NOT ever need to say: "That's what the contractor gave me."

One pays more but one is satisfied.

REMEMBER:

YOU are the builder.
The key is to remember that a contractor is a person who is completing a CONTRACT.
ANY contractor is a 'sub' to the builder (yourself).
The BUILDER always requires the permit NOT the contractor.
[some jurisdictions DO require specific trade licensing as well as specific contractor permitting]
'Hold back' at least 1/4 of total cost until 'sign off'.

unless 100% of the work to be performed is 100% visible, any proposal or specs are thrown out the window.
any contractor signing onto a job without knowing what is behind the walls is either a fool or a cheat.
yes, some contractors know full well that when they open up the wall, they can say "well will ya look at that" then the price gets doubled.

bottom line .. pricing a job is not all that simple.

....but

the specs CAN be to replace EVERYTHING found in the wall with XYZ ..........................

the cost of the REMOVAL is the only unknown

you are forgetting about the possibility that there are electric wires in the way or carpentry that has to be moved etc.
things like this slow your work down to a crawl and possibly mean leaving the job for a day or two while other trade issues are addressed.

how do you spec that?

but the FIXTURES and the MATERIAL and the TYPE of connection (eg. no mechanical) can ALWAYS be specced out

my point is: the builder/OWNER specifies what is to be installed (hopefully SURPASSING mere code compliance)

Edited 1 times.

shower valve choice is the homeowners..

but if the specs call for pex 'A' expansion joints and i use pex 'A' with viega stainless sleeves, i'm out of a job ?

YES, you are !

You voided the CONTRACT.

UNLESS

The term: 'or equivalent equal' was part of the specs.

You VOLUNTARILLY signed the contract.

and

You will not get paid in full.

UNLESS

you have a valid 'change order' in hand

ps. you were free to 'counter propose' the material change prior to acceptance and signature

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.