Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water pressure
Author: BucTX (TX)

Water pressure from city meter is 40 (not sure over the course of the day); they tested it once.
Right after the meter, we have a reducing valve. Near the house, I just intalled a backflow valve (city didn't have one). After the backflow valve, water line goes in 2 directions: into house and out to the outdoor faucets.

City (small town) has re-ocurring issues with water supply, hitting water lines, etc., thus concerned about debris.

When no water is running inside or outside of the house, outdoor faucet pressure is 40. However, when running a water faucet outside, there is zero water inside the house.

Jus the reverse When taking a shower; the outside faucet pressure is zero. When shower is turned off, pressure outside goes to 40.

Also, I had 2 new hot water heaters replaced a month ago because city has a water well station where big trucks fill up. One company had used a vacuum pump (weren't supposed to) and sucked all the water out of our lines and damaged both Hot W Heaters (both leaked in the house).

Also, when just 1 outside water faucet is on, the cold side of the hot water heater line gets hot, telling me that hot water is being sucked out of the H WH.

Clueless. Frustrated.
Any help would be appreciated.

Re: water pressure
Author: steve (CA)

Is the 40 psi on the meter side or house side of the regulator? What material is the supply pipe between the meter and the house?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

? What is the pressure INTO/BEFORE the 'regulator ?

? What is the flowing pressure AFTER the regulator ?

? What is the static pressure AFTER the regulator juuussst after you stop using water ?

? What type of 'backflow' valve do you have ? They can have LARGE normal pressure drops.

? What type of piping do you have ? What size ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

take out the pressure regulator. none needed if your pressure is 70 PSI of below.

add watts n36 vacuum relief valves at the water heaters. they will stop syphoning of water heaters should a zero pressue occur again.

it appears that your water main is either very undersized or clogged with rust/debris?

..... take out the pressure regulator. none needed if your pressure is 70 PSI of below. .....

none needed if the pressure INTO the regulator is 80 PSI or below

code states that the maximum allowed domestic water pressure is 80 psi (static) AT THE POINT OF USE (the fixtures)

ditto what packy said

Edited 1 times.

Is the 40 psi on the meter side or house side of the regulator? City showed 40 psi at meter (going to house).

What material is the supply pipe between the meter and the house? 3/4" PEX B. About 50 feet from meter to mobile home. 3/4" pex going into the house.

Appreciate everyone's time.

Our set-up: meter; 1 foot to pressure regulator; 50 feet to a newly installed backflow valve (which is right before line goes up to the mobile home. When line goes up, it "T's" (line to faucets and line to house).
I'm working on installing the faucet line on the other side of the backflow valve to prevent water from being sucked out of home when outdoor faucet is on.

bernabeu
? What is the pressure INTO/BEFORE the 'regulator ? Not sure what psi is, just before the meter. City measured 40 psi just after the meter (side going to the mobile home). The pressure reducer is within 1 foot of city meter and thus, I assume 40 psi going into pressure reducer. I have not disconnected regulator to test pressure after it.
Regulator is Watts LF25 AUB (25 to 75 psi)

? What is the flowing pressure AFTER the regulator ?
Not sure how to test flowing pressure (I just have a screw-on faucet gauge)

? What is the static pressure AFTER the regulator juuussst after you stop using water ?
I'll test this afternoon (at outdoor spigot) when no water is being used in the house (washing machine currently running).
However, when no water is in use (inside or outside), the pressure at an outside faucet is between 40-50 psi. However, when outdoor faucet (just 1) is turned on for 30 seconds, pressure at that faucet is reduced to less than 5 psi.
Also, when washing machine is running, it alarms (low or no water pressure) if an outdoor faucet is turned on.

? What type of 'backflow' valve do you have ? They can have LARGE normal pressure drops.
Backflow valve: I'll have to find the invoice. I can't see any markings on the one that was installed.
Reason there is one, is due to the city constantly having water issues. They have a water pump station just down the road from us, where large vacuum pump trucks/trailers suck water (vs. gravity flow like they are supposed to) and I have been afraid (especially it being a mobile home and because we've had 2 hot water heaters crack at the exact same time causing water damage [assuming from water being sucked out of them]).

? What type of piping do you have ? What size ?
3/4" PEX B from meter, to the mobile home (about 50 feet), and into the home.

Author: packy
"...take out the pressure regulator. none needed if your pressure is 70 PSI of below."

My concern is a pressure spike due to City issues and it being a mobile home (if that makes any difference).

" ... add watts n36 vacuum relief valves at the water heaters. they will stop syphoning of water heaters should a zero pressue occur again."

*I'll have a plumber come do that. I've noticed, with outdoor water off, the cold side of the hot water heater still gets hot when washer is running and someone takes a shower.

*I considered having a plumber install backflow valves on each hot water heater but I'm not sure if they are ran in series/parallel or completely separate.

"...it appears that your water main is either very undersized or clogged with rust/debris?"

I "think" incoming line is 2". I ran 3/4" pex from meter into the house (which has 3/4" pex).

Edited 1 times.

check the inlet of the regulator for a debris clogged screen. I would eliminate the regulator.

ditto

D'OH moment - debris clogged screen

Thanks for all the help.

With no regulator, what's the chances that a spike in water pressure bursting pipes in the house?

Author: packy (MA)

the relief valve on the water heater would blow before any pipes burst

I'll remove the PRegulator.

What about the backflow valve? I think I should leave it since there is a problem with main water being sucked out by vacuum trucks. It is installed just before the line goes up into the house (it then Tee's off to outdoor faucets).
QUESTION: should the outdoor faucet line be on the other side of the check valve (between main and check valve) or leave them where they are? I think leave them because if move them to the other side of the valve, when water is used outside, then the valve shuts off water to the house and if any water is used inside, it would drain the lines, correct?

Also, still think the watts n36 vacuum relief valve in the cold water line going to each of my HWH is needed? How do they not leak water?

Is an expansion tank needed at hot water heater or will the V. Rel. valve cure the problem of hot water coming back into the cold water supply line?

Edited 1 times.

Yes, an expansion tank is needed if you have a backflow valve.

If I install an expansion tank, is a vacuum relief valve still needed?

Potential issues with removing the backflow valve? It is there because of the risk of water being sucked out of the main by the city. However, these issues started when it was installed last month.

I'll get a plumber to install the expansion tanks, etc.
I can do plumbing (pex fittings, etc.) but not comfortable with inside lines.
Thanks,

Edited 1 times.

Author: Curly (CA)

A typical backflow device will reduce water pressure approx. 12 psi.

A true backflow device comes with a rating plate(or stamped on body) that tells you brand, model number, serial number & pipe size.

You are feeding the whole system with a 3/4" pex line and 25 to 30 pounds of pressure.

Pipes to small and pressure is too low.

You answered your own question.....It all started when backflow was installed.....which reduced pressure.

Post pictures of your layout and maybe we can help.

Author: Curly (CA)

Maybe you should get a booster pump and pressure tank. I would think it should help smooth out your supply and not be depended on the city.

Hopefully somebody with more experience with pumps etc. will chime in.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.