Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bathroom reno
Author: Payne (FL)

I'm ready to get going on this project and I'm debating between installing a tub surround or installing tile. There is a small issue with a good sized window in the shower so I'm debating on what to do with that. I've not done either but I'm excited to get going. Which would be a smarter choice for a first timer?

Re: Bathroom reno
Author: bernabeu (SC)

Neither.

Hire a pro to restore what you have now to like new condition.

The key being NEW condition.

You may like what you have.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Curly (CA)

If do not want to follow the sage advice from Bernabeu you can get really good tile advice from John Bridge Tile Forum...

[www.johnbridge.com]

Good luck with your project.

Author: packy (MA)

if you are doing the work, then do tile..

Author: bsipps (PA)

You will also want to ensure the window in the shower is tempered or it will not pass a home inspection

Author: clanderson (NE)

I, too, am an amateur DIY'er who has re-done the bathroom. I vote for tile for the reasons 1. Better resell value (usually). 2. Longer lasting. 3. More durable and scratch resistant surface.

The most important thing is to block moisture from penetrating the walls, surround and floor, ie use vapor barriers, and at least 2 different kinds. I used plastic sheeting followed by cement board, then covered in 2 coats of roll on vapor barrier and then installed the tile with thinset mortar ( do not use mastic in a shower) then a cement based grout. Take your time and watch a lot of installation videos. Be very careful about getting the tile level and plumb. Do not go by the existing floor or wall corners, they are seldom actually level or plumb. If you are not a proficient DIY plumber HIRE a licensed plumber. Good luck. Our bathroom re-do came out well enough that the tile company is using a pic I sent them for advertising, We've had no leaks, so an amateur can do good work. It just takes significantly longer! Estimate at least 5-6 times longer. Good luck.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.