Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Are there problems w/an 1/8" per foot on PVC sewer?
Author: ericsarratt (NC)

I learned here that 1/4" per foot for pipe is just about perfect.

But the plumbing code says that you can use 1/8" per foot for 4" pipe. Your thoughts?

I have a sewer job coming up that is a long run. I'm planning on using 4" PVC. It is for a new home. The city designed the sewer run.

Once outside the house the line is 100' downhill. Then it turns about 100 degrees and flows downhill another 132'.

At this point the city will pick up the sewer line, shoot it under the road and connect it way down the hill to the city sewer.

I'm worried about using 1/8" per foot because I don't want call backs for repeated blockages. And, I don't want to re-do this and have to bury the line deeper at a steeper angle.

And, I'm worried about using 1/4" per foot because I will be at least 13' deep when I get to the street.

I am aware that the house, which has yet to be built on the empty lot, faces another street. But, the city says that road (Shelburne Dr) does not have city sewer.

I am exploring other ideas, but for now I am focusing on finding out the pros and cons of the city's suggestion.

Edited 6 times.

Re: Are there problems w/an 1/8" per foot on PVC sewer?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

can you do 3/16 per foot ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bsipps (PA)

The Roman aqueducts were sloped roughly 1” per 1,000’

The code says 1/8” is fine then it’s fine plumbing engineers have worked vigorously on the slope per diameter of piping

I doubt it. North Carolina plumbing code says 1/8" per foot is the minimum.

Thanks! You gave me an idea I had not really considered. I can go up in diameter to 6-8" and have less pipe slope--that may be an option.

Edited 1 times.

The Roman aqueducts handled clear potable water only.

Author: hj (AZ)

Ionce installed a 600+ ft. 4" clay tile sewer at less than 1/16" grade and as far as I know, it never had a problem. But a 230' sewer would NOT have 13' of fall at 1/4" pitch.

4.791666666666667 feet of fall to be overly precise

230' at 1/4" per foot = 57.5 total " / 12 = above

HOWEVER

Apparently the entire 'run' is downhill from the house ... soooo ... the pipe may not need to be pitched relative to the trench at all.

Edited 1 times.

You are correct.

I forgot to mention that I only included the 132' foot portion at 1/4" per foot (33" drop), not the initial 100'.

And, I also forgot to note that there is a hill next to the home that does not show up well on the map I posted.

The pipe burrows into the side of the hill (that the house sits on) before it gets to the road.

When you add in the soil depth of the hill plus the 1/4" per foot drop the pipe is 13' deep at the road.

Edited 2 times.

Author: steve (CA)

What's the depth that the City can work with at the road?

Author: steve (CA)

Re-reading your original description states the first 100 feet is downhill and the 132 feet is also downhill. What's the elevation difference between the building site and the road you are stopping at?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.