Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Exterior water pipe type and size recommendation
Author: r1013 (AL)

I put an RV on rural land to stay in on my off days while I build a house. The power company ran power which is set up. A well was dug/setup last week with a 1" brass female fitting coming from the pump/tank connections. I need to get water to my RV (about 250' away down hill at approx. 10% grade). I also need to get water to the house site another approx. 250' away in the other direction up hill at approx. 20% grade.

I bought a couple of no lead frostless Yard Hydrants with 3/4 inch connections. One for the RV and one for the house site. Our coldest temps are mid 20's maybe a month or two a year dropping occasionally into the teens 1-7 days a year. I live in middle Alabama where the frost line is 6". Code says bury the line 6" below frost line which makes it 12" deep. This doesn't require inspection where I'm building but I want things done right.

When the house is done, the plan would be to come off the line close to the Yard Hydrant by the house site and go over to the house, maybe another 20'. There is also a meter that was dropped prior to me buying the land 800' down (23% grade) hill, but I wanted a well.

I thought about running a line to the meter as a backup but that's a lot of digging. The pump installer said to use 1" pipe coming off the wells 1" female connection and run it to the house. It seems like 1.25" would be better but would the 1" outlet at the well effect it negatively? A plumber I spoke with a few years ago said to run 2" pipe from the meter to the house.

My questions:
What TYPE and SIZE pipe should I run from the well to the RV and House site? If now or later I decide to trench to the water meter, what TYPE and SIZE pipe should I use? Every article I have read says to use something else. Any suggestions?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Exterior water pipe type and size recommendation
Author: bernabeu (SC)

google "Hazen-Williams friction loss" then consult an architect

my personal GUESS would be 1-1/2

as for material: smooth, flexible, CONTINUOUS RUN, properly backfilled with 6" SAND top and bottom (PEX comes to mind)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

Re: Exterior water pipe type and size recommendation
Author: packy (MA)

WOW.. it is almost june first and i'm agreeing with my friend from SC for the second time in 2023..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.