Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Buzzing/vibrating noise
Author: tree (NJ)

I'm a senior citizen and I desperately need help. I'm not sure who to call, a plumber or an electrician. About an hour ago, I was using my sink in the half-bath. All of a sudden, I've got this buzzing/vibrating noise I believe is coming from in the wall. I've shut the water and the electric off, but the noise is still going. I'd truly appreciate any help you can offer. It's been buzzing about an hour now.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Buzzing/vibrating noise
Author: DaveMill (CA)

Is it still buzzing? For how long? Is the bathroom on an exterior wall? Is there another bathroom or apartment behind it? More information please.

Author: sharp1 (IL)

Is it possible an electric razor or toothbrush started running in a medicine cabinet or vanity?

Author: Caliber Plumbing (FL)

Here are a few potential causes and steps you can take:
1. Plumbing issue: The noise could be related to a plumbing problem, such as a faulty valve, water hammer, or a loose pipe. While you've shut off the water, the noise may continue for a short period due to residual water pressure. If the noise persists after some time, it's advisable to consult a professional plumber to inspect the plumbing system and identify the source of the issue.

2. Electrical issue: The buzzing noise could be caused by an electrical problem, such as a loose electrical connection or a faulty electrical component. Even though you've shut off the electricity, there might be a device or circuit in the wall that still has power. To address this, consider switching off the main electrical circuit breaker to cut power to the entire house temporarily. If the buzzing noise continues even with the electricity completely shut off, it's crucial to contact a licensed electrician to investigate and resolve the issue.

3. HVAC system: The noise could be originating from the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system, particularly if there are ducts or pipes running through the walls. Check if the noise coincides with the HVAC system turning on or off. If so, it could be due to a malfunctioning motor or a loose component within the system. Contact an HVAC technician to inspect and service the system.

Given the persistent nature of the noise, it's advisable to seek professional assistance from a plumber, electrician, or HVAC technician, depending on the likely source of the problem.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.