Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Fitting pipes
Author: Payne (FL)

Is there a way to fit a 4x3 offset closet flange to the "inside" of a 3" pipe? I'm having a hard time chipping away at the old PVC fitting. If yes, would expanding foam work to fill in the gaps to make the pipe fit?

Re: Fitting pipes
Author: Curly (CA)

Our sponsor sells a 3" internal pipe extender....

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Not that this is recommended and not code approved even in Florida.

It reduces the internal bore of the pipe to approx. 2-1/2". 3" is minimum pipe size for a toilet.

I would think pretty good potential that it would cause stoppages.

Pay now or pay later. Keep chipping away.

I would not do it and don't recommend it.......but you asked.

Blockages did cross my mind. Ok better question. Is there a better way of removing the rest of the old PVC fitting from the pipe? The whole thing is looking like a burnt marshmallow from the heat gun. I've managed to get the flange to sit not quite halfway down so far.

Author: packy (MA)

if you can get the flange to slide on one inch instead of the full 1 1/2 inch, as long as you can prine and glue it really well, its not perfect but should give you no trouble.
make sure the flange is well secured with stainless screws

Author: bernabeu (SC)

"Probably" will give you no trouble.

? Since you are having difficulty performing a plumbing task juuuuust perhaps hiring an actual plumber would be wise ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: steve (CA)

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Author: sum (FL)

The best methods to remove the fitting is using a rabbit or cut along the edges making multiple cuts every 45 or 90 degrees then pry off with a flat head screwdriver finessing it. If it's already mutilated or deformed with a torch I would say your best bet is to go below and replace the entire closet elbow.

There are 3" inside for retrofit flanges for hail Mary situations but in your case you said offset flange that's even worse. I would redo the closet elbow to the right place to avoid the offset flange then install the flange.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Curly (CA)

A picture is worth a million words.....

Funny you should say that because my uncle had a friend who is/was a plumber come over this morning. Five minutes later and it's set. Soooooo I'm just gonna go sit over here in the corner now and leave things alone.. lol.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

grinning smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Caliber Plumbing (FL)

It is not recommended to fit a 4x3 offset closet flange to the "inside" of a 3" pipe. Closet flanges are designed to fit securely on the outside of the pipe to create a proper seal. Trying to fit a larger flange inside a smaller pipe can result in leaks, unstable connections, and potential issues with the plumbing system.

Also, expanding foam is typically used for insulation or filling voids, but it is not suitable for creating a reliable, watertight connection in plumbing applications.

To properly address your situation, it's advisable to remove the old PVC fitting and replace it with the appropriate 4x3 offset closet flange designed for outside fitment on a 3" pipe. Chipping away at the old fitting can be challenging, but there are tools available that can help make the process easier, such as a PVC pipe cutter or a reciprocating saw with a PVC blade. These tools can allow you to remove the old fitting more efficiently. If you're inexperienced with this type of plumbing work, it's best to consult a professional plumber.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.