Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Residential bath tub installation question
Author: Div (VA)

During a bathroom remodel, our plumber installed an alcove fiberglass tub in our second floor bathroom. The tub creaks and pops when standing in it. I asked our general contractor about it and what support was under it. She said that the tub is installed per the manufacturer's instructions and that because it has feet needs no other support. I don't believe the tub should creak and pop like that. A lot of things I find online show some sort of support for a tub - whether it be mortar, foam, or a pad that comes with the tub (our tub doesn't have any of these). Our project is currently on hold while we discuss the way forward with the tub. Any advice on what I should do? I am pushing the general contractor to remove it and add support.

Re: Residential bath tub installation question
Author: bernabeu (SC)

..... She said that the tub is installed per the manufacturer's instructions and that because it has feet needs no other support. .....

If actually installed as per 'specs' you need a better grade of tub OR a 'better' floor under it.

If not installed as per 'specs' you need a better GC and / or a better plumber.

Either way you have two choices:

Remove, inspect, and replace as necessary to remove 'flex'.

OR

Fill the 'void' under the tub with low expansion spray foam and hope for the best.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bsipps (PA)

I agree with Bern except I would use max fill or big gap spray foam and fill the tub with water to the overflow plate to prevent the tub from shifting as the foam cures

Author: packy (MA)

you have no choice. open the wall on the shower end and possibly the long wall as well. spray foam under the bottom.
your contractor is lying to you.
your plumbers are incompetent.

ditto and ditto

Author: Div (VA)

Thanks.

A better tub is being delivered to be swapped out for the one that was installed. The CG said that support will be also installed.

We will closely monitor this installation.

Edited 2 times.

YOU need to verify that the manufacturer's installation procedure is followed.

In order to do so YOU need to read the instruction 'sheet'.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.