Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Laundry sink pump
Author: Herbie1197 (CA)

Here is the installation diagram from the manual for the Liberty 404 drain pump. It clearly states "Note: a trap shall be used between the fixture and pump, a flange type is recommended."

On page 2, the diagram shows an s-trap inlet to the pump. Won't that be siphoned out, leaving the sink and washer stand pipe vulnerable to nasty pump basin smells? I can't figure out if the outside air vent on the side of the pump basin would somehow break the siphon. Wouldn't the trap vent need to be above the trap weir? Seems more logical to just inlet from the side with a standard p-trap arm.

Why would Liberty suggest such an s-trap?

Appreciate any expertise.

[www.sumppumpsdirect.com]

Re: Laundry sink pump
Author: bernabeu (SC)

The unit WILL work as designed IF you follow the installation EXACTLY.

The 's' trap discharges ABOVE the water line in the basin and is 'functionally' vented by the basin vent.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

An"S" trap, by its definition is NEVER vented by ANYTHING. It will ALWAYS siphon if conditions are right.

So you mean the head of water in the basin being fed by the outside air vent will break the s-trap siphon? How is that any different than an s strap under a kitchen sink that eventually meets a vent downstream? Will Libertys s trap work because the vent is right at the end of the s trap arm? I thought an s trap will siphon unless the vent is above the trap weir.

The 'inlet' side of the 's' trap is open to atmosphere in this application.

the laundry sink drain strainer

It will work as designed.

@ hj: picture an old style floor mounted 'slop sink' with an integral 's' trap

Picture ANY toilet "with an S trap" An "S" trap s an "S" trap, PERIOD. NOTHING, other than extremely slow flow will prevent its siphoning.

siphon JET

the jet hole MAKES the WC siphon

but

we agree on the reasons that 's' traps and plumbing do not play well together

Washdown toilets did NOT have a jet hole but they still flushed

not very well, that is WHY they were replaced by siphon jet type

.................. over and out

Appreciate the toilet examples guys. But a toilet s-trap doesn't meet a vent until further downstream. If you go back to Liberty's diagram the drain pump places the vent just below the s-tram arm, on the side of the pump. I guess you'd call this a vented s-trap? I don't plan on installing it that way, Im going to just come in from the side with a p-trap. But it's food for thought?

I think it comes down to the placement of the vent in relation to the trap weir and arm. As the water exits the s-trap its immediately pulling outside air from the vent and the head of air above the water line in the basin. I believe this would break a siphon effect.

But I also still think if you fill the laundry sink with a large enough volume of water you could empty the s-trap.

This guy shows how an unvented long arm s-trap will absolutely siphon:
[structuretech.com]

I cant get the website pic to post here but there are plenty of examples online where people throw an AAV onto an s-trap, usually near the end of the trap arm to break siphon. Or how about a crown vent on the top of an s-trap?

you should have NO or a SHORT arm 's' trap in your application

just install as per manufacturer's instructions and be done with it

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.