Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 PVC ball valves for pond applications
Author: sum (FL)

I have a question about PVC ball valves.

I am planning to use a few of them in my pond. There is a 1.5" line entering the pond and splits into two 3/4" lines. Each of these 3/4" line will have a PVC ball valve on it. One line leads to an aerator/fountain near the water surface, and another will lead to a boulder 7' tall and exits at the top so it will run back down the surface of that boulder.

I may run one feature or the other by using the valves to open or close the lines to the water features.

However, I may also run both at the same time. If I do run both at the same time, I suspect the 7' high feature will be a challenge compared to the pond surface aerator. I suspect it will be like turning on a tub spout and a shower at the same time, most of the water will come out of the tub spout and the shower will mostly drip. So I suspect to run both I will need to play with the ball valves, like for example open the waterfall line fully 100% but only open the aerator valve say 20% to get the balance I need.

So here is my question, are PVC ball valves like this designed to be used in a partially opened position for a long time? Or is it designed to be either fully opened or closed but not in between?

Re: PVC ball valves for pond applications
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

I have no particular knowledge on operating PVC ball valves partially opened but I will give you my thoughts on it. I see no harm in it because the flow rates are low. If you use the valves with union ends, then they can be easily replaced if any issues arise. The valves are not expensive.

Author: Curly (CA)

I agree with George.

I have used Hayward brand double union PVC ball valves for years from 1/2" up to 2".

They turn as easy after 20 years as they did brand new.

Author: Don411 (IN)

I installed a Hartell drain pump on a laundry sink in our last house, and the installation instructions call for installing a ball valve ahead of the check valve.

The reason for the valve is that the pump will empty the sink so fast it causes the pump to short cycle. You use the valve to restrict output so the pump empties the sink at the same rate at which it fills, allowing the pump to run continuously until the sink is empty.

I had the ball valve operate for several years in a partially open position with no adverse effects on the valve.

Hartell Pump:

[www.hartell.com]

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.