Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 In ground pool leak
Author: rideohua (VA)

Amateur here so please be gentle. I have a leak somewhere in my pool since last summer. I closed the pool a x level and now it’s at y level (lower) and I am trying to pin point the culprit. The water level at one of my return lines is just at the bottom of the pipe and all other return lines are still under water so my limited mind thinks it good be that return line that’s leaking. So I bought a pipe video cam and inserted into the pipe. I get about 2 feet and there is a 90 straight down. On that 90 I see the brown spots on the top and side while the rest is white and was wondering if you all think this may be my problem. Just as FYSA, it’s the return line to the steps of the pool. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

[postimg.cc]

Edited 1 times.

Re: In ground pool leak
Author: hj (AZ)

It COULD be that line which is leaking, but since it turns down, the leak could be anywhere between the pump and the pool.

But the pipe going down is full of water. Does that change the scenario?

Author: steve (CA)

The pics show what appears to be a crack, between the ends of the white scrape marks and the mottled black specks. Have you seen any videos about injecting dye at suspected leak spots?

I have but since this is under concrete I won’t be able to see.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Don411 (IN)

There are a couple of basic troubleshooting things you can do. If you see bubbles in the strainer basket ahead of the pump when the system is running, the leak is on the suction side. Also, if the leak is on the suction side, the pool won't lose water when the system is running because air is being drawn in through the hole in the suction line. When the pump is off and there is no suction, water will leak out of that hole.

If the leak is on the return side, you'll lose water faster since the pump pressure is forcing water out of the leak spot. With the pump off and no pressure, you will still lose water but at a much slower rate.

Measuring the drop in water level for a few days during pump run time and pump off time will help you get an idea of whether it is a suction leak or return leak.

Also, if you have flex pipe, also called SpaFlex, be aware that termites have been known to eat holes in it. We had an inground pool when we lived in NY and had to have the suction side plumbing replaced because termites ate through the lines in several spots. There are companies that specialize in locating pool leaks, we used one in NY to find the leaks and repair them. If you are not sure if you have flex pipe, you should be able to see the spirals with the camera. You only posted pics of the elbow so I can't tell from these.

Keep in mind that your leak may also be due to a bad gasket(s) around the skimmer(s) or light(s).

Start with these basic diagnostics and post back please.

Author: Lorensr (CA)

Always put the red dye bottle under water next to the light rim to see if the dye drifts toward and into the pool wall at the light rim. Good luck.

I took another snapshot and it looks like a hairline crack. Thoughts?

[i.postimg.cc]

Btw, it’s definitely in the return side as I did a pressure test.

Now here is the really dumb question. If that’s the problem area, it’s under 4” of concrete and I really can’t find anyone local to do the job as they are all booked. Could I attach the glue ball to a stick and insert into the hole and put glue all along the crack, then put my pressure contraption back on the pipe to push the glue into the crack as a short term fix.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.