Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installed New Valves in Kohler Wellworth K-4620 Toilet ~ Questions
Author: DIYBlonde (CA)

I replaced the Fill Valve, Flush Valve and Flush Arm on my Kohler Wellington K-4620 Toilet. I purchased new parts from Plumbing Supply dot and I think I installed the valves properly.

It seems as though the nipples of the big rubber gasket with the bolts in them are high up inside of the tank but the underside is not meeting the exterior of the tank so that looks like no seal at all. I did the hand tightening and the instructions say not to over tighten but then how can I make it seal? I've tried to get the large round hole of the seal right over the hole in the bowl, but something isn't right as the three nipple things aren't sealing underneath. I can see that if the flat part of the three nippled gaskets under the tank aren't flush and tightened, water will flow out of the tank in all three holes.

I will try to figure out how to post some photos... although I don't understand the instructions as my photos are on my pc, not an internet link.... I posted photos on Instagram:

[https://www.instagram.com/p/Cq4EXhfvjRN/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=]

I thought I would check with all you helpful professionals as I have been the grateful recipient of your sage advice in the past.

Looking forward to not having to "go" in the yard.... Just kidding guys!

Thank you, DIY Blonde

Edited 6 times.

Re: Installed New Valves in Kohler Wellworth K-4620 Toilet ~ Questions
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

It is not the nipples that do the sealing. The sealing is made on the inside surface of the tank and the heads of three rubber covered bolts that go in from the inside of the tank do the sealing.

I posted photos on Instagram: [https://www.instagram.com/p/Cq4EXhfvjRN/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=]

I guess I need to keep tightening the 3 nuts until the rubber top bolts inside the tank come down far enough to seal to the floor of the tank?

It felt like I was over tightening, and I don't want to crack the bowl or tank. I tightened as much as I could with my fingers, so this round I'll use a wrench.

Once it seems tight enough should I pour some water in to check for leaks? The instructions say "check for leaks" but of course the instructions are written for people who already know what they are doing.... If they had some dimwit like me reading it over, I'd find all kinds of questions that you professionals know the answers to without asking. Just saying

Thank you!!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

... I guess I need to keep tightening the 3 nuts until the rubber top bolts inside the tank come down far enough to seal to the floor of the tank? ...

correct

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

[www.youtube.com]

The video was a lot of help, THANK YOU!!

Tank is attached to bowl, I hooked up the water supply (new hose and tape), and turned it on. Tank filled pretty slow and not to the level of the old fill valve. Flushed several times and no leaks, yahooey!!

I am interested in what the doohickies are (flow restrictors). I did not have the original fill valve in the tank but rather a dual flush valve that I picked up at Costco about 7 years ago and a friend installed for me so I can't match it to the original one. What do the restrictors do and where are they in the installation?

Also, my tank is level side to side but not front to back, higher in back. Will that cause any problems?

As always, I am very grateful for the advice you all so graciously provide!

DIYBlonde

Author: packy (MA)

tank out of level is only a problem if it leaks.
easiest fix is a couple of rubber washers glued stratigically on the front top of the tank.
as for the doo-hickey flow restricter.. disconnect the water supply and look up inside the shaft of the fill valve.
probably need a mirror to see inside.
manifacturers put filter doo-hickey filters in there. it could be clogged (if there is one) causing the slow filling.
the height of the water in the tank should be at the "water level" mark printed inside the tank.
[www.youtube.com]

I purchased all new Kohler parts and the Kohler fill valve came with a little bag of colored “flow restrictions.”

Perhaps I wasn’t clear, what I meant is I threw away that dual flush fill valve and I have replaced it with the genuine Kohler fill valve.

The original fill valve was thrown out years ago. The instructions say to use the same one as the original valve but I don’t have the original valve. In addition I can’t figure out where you would put those little things.

Are you saying they go up inside the fill valve somewhere from the bottom?

Naturally the instructions say to use the same color as the prior one which I have no idea what that is, and I’m assuming that I should be able to see one because they’re colored but I don’t see anything like that on the valve and the instructions don’t say where to install it.

Thanks a bunch

Edited 3 times.

Author: Curly (CA)

I think this will answer your question about the colored inserts -

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/[www.fluidmaster.com]

Thank you clap

Very VERY Helpful, thank you so much!!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.