Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet Leak Teaser
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Water leaked from the supply valve and I replaced the valve for my customer. This was for an old Kohler LoBoy installed in 1986 and, being a LoBoy, made the leak hard to see.

A week later, the toilet leaks from the base. I have my own theory as to the first supply valve leak causing the second base leak.

Take your best guess on the cause of the base leak.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Toilet Leak Teaser
Author: packy (MA)

you bumped the toilet a couple of times while wrestling with the supply valve, thus causing the leak.

No. The LoBoys are heavy and not easily bumped out of position.
Try again.
Since the toilet had to be removed, customer opted to upgrade to a current Santa Rosa 1.28g

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Was there a wax ring(no wax residue), waxless seal or no seal?

It was a 37 year old foam rubber gasket.
Hint - The cause of the leak is in the pic, though not very obvious with the way the pic was taken

Author: bernabeu (SC)

? flange too high - 'rocker toilet' ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I really should have taken a pic of the floor in front of the toilet, it was warped.

The slight drip from the shutoff valve had gone undetected for a long time because the contours of the LoBoy hid the valve. Water ended up pooling under the plank flooring in front of the toilet and the planks cupped, which is when my customer realized that there was a leak.

The badly cupped planks lifted the front of the toilet up and that was enough to cause the leak from the flange. The 37 year old rubber gasket had absolutely no elasticity left and could not take up the slight gap which had opened up.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.