Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Siphoning Out Of Toilet Bowl
Author: ianwhite (PA)

Hello Plbg,

I have a Kohler 1.6 gallon toilet. When I flush the bowl empties, but does not refill properly. Water siphons down the drain until the tank reaches it's fill line.

If I try to add water by pouring some slowly into the bowl with a bucket, that water also siphons out.

It should be noted that the bowl is not draining dry. However the water level is not returning to previous levels marked by the hard water stains in the bowl.

One other consideration, the sink and DW which 'T' into the toilet drain seem to draining fine.

What I have tried:

6' Toilet Auger (3x)
Ran Drain Cleaning Bladder on connected sink drain line. (see pic 8313 for how pipes are connected)

[postimg.cc]

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Ian

Re: Water Siphoning Out Of Toilet Bowl
Author: bsipps (PA)

Rough plumbing aside…
Check the refill tube inside the toilet tank it should be filling water via the flush valve, it’s not uncommon for the refill tube to dislodge

Author: packy (MA)

take a 5 gallon pail of water and dump it into the toilet as fast as you can. what happens?

I checked the refill tube, it is connected to the flush valve.

I will try it and let you know, Thanks.

Author: Don411 (IN)

The bowl fills through holes under the rim that wash the sides of the bowl and then fill it. Judging by the severity of the hard water stains on the bowl, I would guess that those flush jets are clogged to the point where they can't deliver the same volume of water to fill the bowl.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

time for a wooden toothpick ... small mirror ... patience

the holes are ANGLED to create a swirling action around the bowl ... yours are clogged vitually closed

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Clogged rim holes does not account for water siphoning out when water is slowly poured into the bowl.
This one is a puzzler. Don't know of any cause other than an internal defect, a newly developed crack.

Thanks for all the ideas.

I poured a 5 gallon bucket of water down the bowl. It siphoned out, the toilet gurgled for a minute and then settled.

I thought the hard water stains might account for a problem with the flush - however that does not account for the siphon issue when I pour water in the bowl.

-Side question- what is your favorite hard water stain remover?

Thanks

Ian

Author: Don411 (IN)

In my limited experience as a homeowner, siphoning like that is indicative of a partial clog somewhere, possibly in the toilet trap itself.

Author: packy (MA)

if he poured 5 gallons quickly into the toilet and it dodn't back up, the partial clog is not in the toilet nor is it very close by.

Packy- When I used my 6' toilet auger, it came out clean. So if there is a clog it is past that.

I am starting to wonder if this could mean that my main line is clogged or compromised in some way. The house is around 70 years old. Perhaps the main has started to crack or collapse?

Thanks for all your input so far.

Ian

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.