Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Best blades to cut old Cast Iron Pipe.
Author: Lee (NJ)

Hi,

I have a Milwaukee Sawzall. What are the best blades to use for cutting cast iron sewer pipe (in basement) ?
I went to my local Plumbing Supply House, he said to go to Home Depot or Lowes for the blades. He said he did not carry the special blades.

Or should I be cutting cast Iron using a different method ?

Thank you.

Re: Best blades to cut old Cast Iron Pipe.
Author: Curly (CA)

Diablo Sawzall blades are the best that I have found.

[www.diablotools.com]

Author: Tom130 (IL)

Other methods include a ratchet soil pipe cutter (you should be able to rent one) or an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

Author: packy (MA)

lenox blades..

Author: NoHub (MA)

This is much faster.

[www.youtube.com]

Author: Lorensr (CA)

Be careful cutting with the chain cutter particularly if yoi are cutting a small amount off of the end of pipe, it can chip. Better to use a saw or grinding wheel. Also the wall thickness is not always consistent. I would use the Diablo.

Thank you everyone !

Author: bsipps (PA)

Start with a grinder then Sawzall
Sawzall blades are very expensive

Author: sum (FL)

I used to use Lenox diamond sawzall blades, but I have found the Diablo "thick metal" blades cut faster by a significant amount. The first time I tried it I thought the existing CI pipe was so bad and deteriorated was the reason the cut was faster but when I made the cuts on a new CI pipe (to repair the bad section I cut out) it was just as fast. I haven't bought any diamond sawzall blades since then because it's about twice as expensive at half the speeds. Now many manufacturers also sell "extreme thick metal blades" including Irwin, Milwaukee, Bosch, Dewalt and I don't know if those are as good as the Diablo I use.

Author: Don411 (IN)

Ditto on the Diablo blades, they now have a carbide-tipped recip saw blade. They are pricey ($22 each locally here) but cast iron is a killer on blades, If you get the regular ones, get the 5-pack because it might take 2 blades to make a cut. Not sure what they put in that old school cast iron but it's a hella lot harder than steel.

Author: hj (AZ)

Looks almost like the Ridgid #226, I am selling, although I always used a ratchet wrench and never thought of using an impact wrench

Re: Best blades to cut old Cast Iron Pipe. clap

Thank you for all the information !

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.