Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 fix crack in PVC fitting?
Author: agentzed (ME)

Hi All,
Shoved up into a very tight space in my ceiling, there is a Y fitting (2" x 3" ) that has a crack on the 2" female portion of the fitting.

It has been there for over 10 years (the crack I'm not sure about, but is clearly seeping water now -- it is the shower discharge joining the toilet discharge), and it is in a pretty tight spot.

Would be not easy to replace the whole fitting due to where the 3" pipe is, but I can manipulate the 2" pipe coming in.

Question is:
Can I weld, or fix, this crack?

I think I can remove the 2" pipe from the fitting, and then would want to replace that, but is there some compound that I could use to repair that Y?

Thanks...

Edward

Edited 2 times.

Re: fix crack in PVC fitting?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

NO

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

There is no permanent fix other than replacing that fitting with a cracked branch.

However there may be temporary band aids that may reduce or stop the leak to buy you some time, depends on the nature, size and location of the crack. Some of those methods ok involved the liberal use of primer and cement, epoxy tape, and hose clamps. If that fitting is frequently stressed and vibrated, such as being adjacent to a garbage disposer, pump or sprinklers, then the crack will reopen much sooner.

But more importantly is you need to determine why there is a crack. Is the 2" pipe not aligned with the fitting branch and was forced into it and flexed from the other end, is it under the basement ceiling and someone did chin ups on the pipe? That may help you with formulating a repair.

Author: packy (MA)

you may be able to cut the 2 inch pipe and use a 'ram bit'

[www.google.com]

to clean out the 2 inch joint.

then clean everything well with primer/cleaner and glue in a new piece.
use a hose clamp around the joint to keep it squeezed together.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

one then has a glued joint in place of a solvent welded joint

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Curly (CA)

This fitting may work for you...

Jones Stephens P22100

I can't take credit for this....saw it in another post by NoHub

Author: DaveMill (CA)

Cracked and patched PVC pipe in the ceiling? I think that's called a "time bomb."

Author: Don411 (IN)

If the drip is slow, you might try some Flex Seal. Glob it on good and it may stop the leak. Certainly not a permanent repair, but if you need to buy some time for whatever reason until you can make the right repair, it might be worth a try.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.