Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 What's the good of a union p-trap?
Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

Before I thought seriously about plumbing I thought traps trapped things: the wedding ring dropped down the drain, stuff that clogged the pipe (for easy removal). I bought a trap for my clothes washer, but only one side of the bend is threaded, rather than both, as in all the slip-joint traps I have installed. What good is it? I can't remove it. I know the purpose of a union when plumbing threaded fittings. I don't see the purpose on a trap that has to be welded on all the other joints. I've thought of attaching a short stub to the inlet, attaching that to the pipe with a Fernco sleeve, to make it removeable.

Re: What's the good of a union p-trap?
Author: bsipps (PA)

You can glue in a slip trap adapter on the inlet to make it a slip joint

The trap we are discussing is sch. 40 not tubular which has a much thinner wall

I’m not sure why they are used, an 1 1/2” pvc trap is not hard to cable through and they are cheap enough and not worth re using

Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

It's a clothes washer: it's plumbed with 2" drain pipe. I found a trap adapter for 2", but the nut is too small to attach to 2" PVC. I've never seen 2" slip-joint.

2” throw it in the trash… no use for it buy a trap that is solvent welded on both inlet and outlet

Author: bernabeu (SC)

The swivel is to allow for slight 'misses' left-right with the roughing.

The swivel is NOT for trap disassembly after installation.

Sometimes referred to as a L.A. Trap where they were first permitted.

They were NOT permitted previous to 1970? in the NYC code.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

The union does come in useful sometimes. Say there is a a tailpiece to be replaced under a kitchen sink, the tailpiece is longer than it needs to be and there is not enough give in the drain piping. Undoing the union enables easy removal of the tailpiece.

All solvent welded joints will swivel for period of time and the pipe is quite flexible so missing a little bit on the rough in would usually work with any style trap

If it isn’t meant to be taken apart it shouldn’t have a nut to begin with

Author: bernabeu (SC)

we are NOT referring to any 'swivel' in the joint before the solvent 'sets'

we are referring to a mechanical joint in the trap itself

said joint will allow the trap inlet to swivel sideways in refernce to the 'centerline' to allow for 'slight' errors in the rouging

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

MA code requires a full size cleanout under kitchen sinks.
it allows us to install a union type trap so the trap is removable. this passes the code as a full size cleanout.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.