Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Outdoor kitchen and propane
Author: SinatraFan (FL)

Hello, first post here. I am building an outdoor kitchen. Because of HOA restrictions, I can't have a permanent LPG tank installed and we don't have LNG here in our subdivision, so I am going to have a multi portable tank system with a auto regulator that is fed by two 30lb tanks feeding 4 devices. The BTU ratings for the devices would be (Grill-82K BTU, Burner-60k BTU, Griddle-27k BTU and Oven-27k BTU) totaling 185k BTU. I was thinking of installing BIP (Black Pipe) for my run and then connecting either flex hose or CSST or copper Type L to the devices. Here are my questions:

1) Is this a good line of thinking or am I over complicating this?

2) Can I just run Type L copper and call it a day? If so, what size line would I need to accommodate the BTU requirements?

3) If I should start with BIP, is it safe to connect BIP to a brass shutoff valve or are there issues with corrosion, etc?

Thanks for the help.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Outdoor kitchen and propane
Author: bsipps (PA)

I would use 1/2” soft copper and flare connections

At the risk of asking a dumb question or two...

1) 1/2" as in OD or ID?
2) Assuming 1/2" OD, what size ball valve do I need? (1/2" flare or 3/8?)

Thanks

Author: bernabeu (SC)

based upon your question(s):

do NOT, repeat NOT, work on high pressure flammable gas piping

PERIOD - END OF CASE

if it is flare it is OD

BY DEFINITION

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

[www.amazon.com]

Bernabeu had written some words here including:

"Vic, perhaps you can phrase this more politely."

---

So here I (Vic) am responding:

Bernabeu I deleted all your words except your request for me to modify your reply.

Bernabeu, you asked so here it goes ..... as we get older we (I'm 77 so definetly can relate) sometimes, depending on the day and our moods, can get a bit "rough" and since you knew that you had gone over the line I ask that you simply delete your words when you know or even believe that you might have.

We all appreciate your many years and vast experience however I must say that lately I have been feeling like saying something once in a while.

None of us humans are experts in everything and also there will be times when we disagree and that's perfectly normal and to be expected.

I hope all of us will stay positive no matter how we are feeling about a question, the person who asked as well as advise and sharing experiences of fellow plumbers and others.

So when in doubt it's best to not say/write anything. Maybe even take a break every so often. I know I do .... and sometimes I don't read or monitor any posts (including yours) for even longer than a week when I'm on a long vacation (Kihei, Maui being my favorite place where my ashes will be placed at Kamaole Beach when I have passed). We only have so many years left and being as kind and considerate of others really feels so right and so good ...... I hope you agree.

Thank you and all who have given back to society by having shared your knowledge and experience here.

I don't wish to be a censor .... so please let's only say positive things or nothing at all.

Peace and love,

Vic

Edited 1 times.

bernabeu,

I'm not exactly "Inexperienced" when it comes to plumbing or gas lines per se. I've ran a black pipe natural gas line for a ventless fireplace and the house is still standing 25 years later. I've also made several pipe flares in the past so again, I'm not a complete noob. But I appreciate your concern.

With that said, I'm planning on using rubber lines that will connect to a Flame King ACR6a 2-Stage Auto Changeover LP Propane Gas Regulator that will take the pressure down to 11 WC. I just want to install a hard low pressure line system instead of a bunch of hoses in an effort to create a more durable long lasting system. Hope this makes sense.

So, the purpose for me "dumb" questions are simply to get information so when I do go to buy the various parts for my system, I'll be buying the right stuff the first time. I really don't like to return things as that is a terrible waste of time.

Edited 1 times.

Packy,

thanks for the link. So you are saying Refrigerant rated tubing is acceptable? I know it's a bit thinner walled (0.025) than Type L (0.04) which I thought was the preferred tubing. I know the Type L is a bit more, but then again, if it's safer, then what's a few bucks more in the name of safety.

vic,

acknowledged

and agreed

smiling smiley

"thanks for the link. So you are saying Refrigerant rated tubing is acceptable?" ~ YES, but it is a misnomer, refrigeration rated merely means dried, nitrogen filled, and capped

"I know it's a bit thinner walled (0.025) than Type L (0.04) which I thought was the preferred tubing." ~ GOOD refrigeration tubing is type 'L'

"I know the Type L is a bit more, but then again, if it's safer, then what's a few bucks more in the name of safety." ~ I would ONLY use "L" for pressurized flammable gas

Use the stuff Packy referred to IF it is type "L"

ps. make sure you ream the cuts in the annealed 'L' tube before you use the flaring tool

Re: Outdoor kitchen and propane thumbs

Thanks!

Edited 1 times.

welcome, and ...... sorry for the previous groughing

It's all good. No worries

Author: Don411 (IN)

Assuming all of the appliances are grouped in an outdoor kitchen type of layout, how far away will the tanks be placed? Are you looking to run piping underground at all?

nothing underground at all. I bought a tank storage cabinet that has doors on the backside of the wall.

One more question...

If I'm going to use those Flame King ACR6a regulators, the outlet of the regulator is a 3/8" NPT Female. It was suggested in this thread that I use 1/2" soft tubing and flared fittings. Is the 1/2" tubing overkill considering the outlet for the regulators is smaller? Also, keep in mind I will have two of these regulators. Each one feeding two cooking appliances. I'm thinking since the grill and oven on one regulator and the griddle and burner on the other. I'll have a tee coming off of each regulator with ball valves between the lines and the appliances.

So is 1/2" tubing still the way to go in spite of the 3/8" exit port of the regulator? Thanks

Author: Tom130 (IL)

Tubing is measured by OD so 1/2 tubing is close in size to 3/8 pipe.

the OD is 'close'

the ID is larger (because of Cu's thinner wall)

OK... maybe ONE MORE question (LOL)

So the Flame King regulator I mentioned came with 1/4" SAE inverted flare fittings for the two tank inlets (see pic)

[m.media-amazon.com]

I am planning to run hoses similar to those shown in the second picture from the tanks to the regulator...

[propanemanifold.com]

Is there any reason why I couldn't simply remove those brass fittings and use a NPT nipple and call it a day? (I know about the proper gas pipe dope etc, in case you were wondering.) I ask simply because when shopping for the lines from the tank to the regulator, I can't seem to find any with consistent good reviews. Most of them are garbage made in China and leak, which is no good! Thanks

Edited 2 times.

Author: Tom130 (IL)

It looks like the regulator is available with two pigtails attached. Is there a reason you don't want to use that?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.